I am on CPAP but keep taking off mask

By tjn998 Latest Activity October 12, 2010 at 11:05 pm Views 3,738 Replies 4 Likes 2

tjn998

They changed my machine so the air pressure adjusts and I still take the mask off when Im sleeping, at least now Im waking up right after I think. I am a smoker and I think that the blowing air is irritating me somehow. Has anyone experienced this? If so how did you remedy it? Im so tired I just want some sleep!!!:~(

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (4 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • tSquare
    tSquare October 17, 2010 at 11:23 pm   

Here is an older Discussion regarding 'Tooo Hot…' with the warmed air of the CPAP humidifier. Its a goodie.

http://www.sleepconnect.com/discussions/235-t...

• hoob
    hoob October 14, 2010 at 4:02 pm   

Does the unit have a ramp feature that starts off at a lower pressure and gradually increases the pressure? If so, it might get you used to this new situation.

• tSquare
    tSquare October 13, 2010 at 12:53 am   
    Edited October 13, 2010 at 12:53 am by tSquare

There is possibly one thing you might try and identify is 'why' you take the mask off. For me after working on the humidity settings I found that as the natural humidy and temperature of the ambient air around me changed I did need to make some regular adjustments in the humidity levels. For if it was too much humidity I felt like I was clostrophobic like I do on a very humid day with no air moving around. Another thing that effected my taking off the mask at night was me just being too hot while I slept. The combination of aditional humidity in the CPAP air (being warm moist air) and me physically hot make me feel even more claustraphobic with the CPAP mask on.

Solutions for me were being attentive to the actual temperature in my sleeping room (being sure I kept it cool enough to my liking) and adjusting the CPAP's humidity level to acomodate for the actual air humidity balance to also be as I prefered it to be. Not an every night adjustment, but perhaps once a week setting it up or down one setting.

Air too dry makes me caugh and kind of feel gag-ish like I'm on super antihitamines and such. Too moist and I feel I cannot breath for the air is too dense feeling (hard one to discribe). Room air too warm and I just want anything 'warm' off and the warm humified air of the CPAP is just too much.

Yea, fiddle with that, fiddle with this, change that, change this. Well, we are choosy on what we like or dislike in matresses, feeling of sheets, air temperature and so on. So why do we think that set it once and forget it works so well on a CPAP machine pushing slightly warm and moist air at us all night long? Makes a kind of sence perhaps.

• Avera
    Avera October 12, 2010 at 11:57 pm   

Hello,

This problem of the mask coming off during the night is a common problem.

"Many people sometimes remove their masks while asleep, according to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. A person who does this can try several solutions. A mask that fits better may do the trick. A chin strap to hold the mask in place can also be a solution. Getting a CPAP machine with a humidifier can make the treatment more comfortable, and thus halt the urge to remove the mask. A person also can get a CPAP machine that sounds an alarm when the mask comes off."

Here is a link to one discussion on this subject here on Sleep Connect. There are 2 very good answers to read.

http://www.sleepconnect.com/discussions/451-r...

Hope this helps…

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar