How to taper off Ambien

By ccf50 Latest Activity October 11, 2010 at 4:20 pm Views 7,351 Replies 4 Likes 2

ccf50

I've been taking 10 mg of ambien for about 14 - 18 days it didn't give me a full night's sleep so I want to taper off my dr said take a 5 mg for 3 days then go down to 5 mg every other day for 6 days does this sound right?

My sleep dr said you can just stop taking it but I know from reading on the web that isn't the best idea.

thanks
Nancy

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (4 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • rapture2
    rapture2 August 21, 2011 at 1:52 am   

with me, my body becomes used to how much ambien that I took the night before. I need to establish a good sleep hygeine ritual and use it daily.This will work with the day night cycle and my bodies rythms to be consistent. I plan to start an exercise program as well.

• TheDreamer
    TheDreamer October 16, 2010 at 10:26 am   

When I was taking Ambien, I was told to take it for 3 days and then not for 2 days to avoid building tolerance to it. But, it didn't make sense to me…since which two days at work should I not have slept before? I tried 5 nights on, 2 nights off…that made for rough weekends. But, eventually it stopped working…and the drugged up but laying awake all night feeling was worse.

My sleep doc switched me to lunesta…and my silly prescription insurance tried to deny it and replace it with ambien. It's expensive because its non-preferred brand (ambien CR being their preferred, and ambien on generic)…plus I don't qualify for lunesta's copay assistance coupon…

I still have sleep issues, but it's an improvement.

The Dreamer.

• Avera
    Avera October 12, 2010 at 8:57 pm   

Hello Nancy,

What your regular doctor said sounds correct. Please follow his instructions. Also, there is one good article right here on Sleep Connect concerning "getting off Ambien."

Here is the link…Hope this helps…

http://www.sleepconnect.com/news-articles/996...

• ccf50
    ccf50 October 13, 2010 at 12:15 pm   

Thanks for the reply I really don't like to take sleeping pills long term.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar