Restless leg syndrome and SOAP

By Rich 2 Latest Activity May 26, 2010 at 10:48 pm Views 7,773 Replies 21 Likes 5

Rich 2

Has anyone ever heard of using soap to combat restless leg syndrome? How do you do it and does it work?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (21 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • JP
    JP April 3, 2012 at 4:23 pm   

Hi Rich,
    Try magnesium. It worked for me. 400 mg (not) with calcium. Good luck!

• caraelena
    caraelena February 4, 2012 at 3:11 am   

I tried the SOAP method. It didn't work and it left crumbs in my bed. lol

• wooly283
    wooly283 March 22, 2012 at 6:35 pm   

What is the soap method?

• caraelena
    caraelena March 23, 2012 at 3:06 pm   

It is simply to put a bar of soap in the bed with you. It gives a plesant scent, and is supposed to keep you from being restless.

• rosevillesandi
    rosevillesandi February 3, 2012 at 8:09 am   

For me my restless leg stopped when I didn't have anything real sugary before bed, it stopped.

• thegreathambino
    thegreathambino March 28, 2011 at 1:39 pm   

I'm going to try this just because it sounds so simple and dare I say unbelievable? I'm intrigued!

• caraelena
    caraelena August 7, 2010 at 10:14 pm   

I have tried the soap since seeing it on here. i think it does have some sort of calming effect on me . however, i'm not sure if it is actually combating my RLS.

• hannah24
    hannah24 July 10, 2010 at 10:12 pm   

really? soap! that's so cheap and easy, I am definitely going to try this!

• Avera
    Avera June 1, 2010 at 12:02 am   

Hello,

Recently I was online reading about Restless Legs Syndrome at some health related message boards. I remembered that a member there named Misty800 wrote a great answer to your question. I have copied it and am posting it below for you to read. Have a great day!

Donna

**written by Misty800**

"Years ago I read about putting an unwrapped bar of soap between the sheets to help you sleep and to settle the restless legs. I just laughed and went on my merry way!

A week ago I was having trouble going to sleep and sleeping all night (mind would not shut down, restless feeling all over). I decided there was nothing to lose, so I put a bar of soap between the sheets and slept good all night. I continue to sleep with the bar of soap and have had great nights of sleep.

I have searched the internet until I am blue in the face trying to find out why/how it works. It has been a mystery for many years and continues to be a mystery.

Last week I shared this info with a friend and it is working for her too.

It does not seem to matter what brand soap is used. I used Dove brand, my friend used Lifebouy, and have read that some people use Ivory as well as other brands.

It sounds wacky, but works!! Soooo…please join me and hopefully you will reap benefits from a bar of soap too! "

• scorpio35
    scorpio35 April 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm   

i tried the soap thing. it worked for a few nights and stopped working. i have a severe case of rls so it may work great for other people!

• pretresse
    pretresse July 22, 2010 at 7:43 am   

Wow! I am definately going to have to try this!

• caraelena
    caraelena July 25, 2010 at 9:05 pm   

I am rinning out for soap rite now. where do u put it in relation to ur body?

• Tracy
    Tracy May 27, 2010 at 8:50 am   

I HAVE heard of it - my Mother swears by it to alleviate night time leg cramps…she does not have RLS. Her doctor told her there is no scientific evidence to back it up, but he said, "hey, if it works for you, great, it cannot hurt anything". She puts soap shavings in her little cloth footie slippers and wears them to bed.

I've also heard people say they put a bar of soap at the bottom of the bed ( near their feet ) between top and bottom sheets.

Anyone else use this successfully for RLS?

tracy

• AzFreebird
    AzFreebird July 25, 2010 at 3:12 am   

Yes! No one quite knows why or how it works but it does work quite well for some people. Not just for RLS either. People with RA or just arthritis can get some benefit from it.
    It won't work for everyone. It does need to be scented for some odd reason.
    It works for me but not for my wife. She ended up moving several bars around during the night - until I got my CPAP because I would kick her out of bed. It reduced the severity and the amount by about 2/3's.

• cavie2
    cavie2 February 4, 2012 at 7:59 am   

Do you mean your CPAP reduced the severity and the amount by 2/3's or kicking your wife out of bed did that. hahaha

• Tracy
    Tracy March 28, 2011 at 3:28 pm   

I've never heard about the soap needing to be scented…my mom uses Dial soap and I use any NON scented soap… so curious to know why you suggest scented! Maybe just someone elses opinion that you heard about?
    tracy

• gabbie1052
    gabbie1052 July 25, 2010 at 1:43 pm   

Every night, I always have this problem, I take medication that makes me restless as well, I am up and down all night, walking, laying down, rubbing my legs all over, and even crying, it also affects my back, I take a xanax because I have Addison's Disease which causes me to shake, the xanax helps a great deal and I sleep like a baby, I am one that hates to take any kind of medication because it makes for a foggy head,I will try about anything to get a good nights sleep, I am really tired, thanks, I will try that tonight with the soap!

• caraelena
    caraelena July 25, 2010 at 9:08 pm   

even the xanax can give me restless leg. i am on propranolol to take an hour before my meds to keep me from "kicking the sheets" all nite

• monolith86
    monolith86 April 6, 2011 at 11:30 am   

I have a sleeping disorder and essential tremors and also take propranolol. Hmmm…

• ladybugs
    ladybugs April 16, 2012 at 4:03 pm   

Does propranolol help with the tremors? My doctor rx'd it to use in place of Valium for anxiety…

• henrygurley@ymail.com
    henrygurley@ymail.com June 10, 2011 at 4:55 am   

tnx you 4 info.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar