side sleepers

By sleepless in pa Latest Activity February 13, 2010 at 12:45 pm Views 7,706 Replies 54 Likes 4

sleepless in pa

How do all the side sleepers get through a night without having to adjust the mask, stop the leakage, breathe normally, and sleep at the same time?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (54 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous March 14, 2012 at 3:02 pm   

I love my fetal position…and long for the day whence I can once again sleep on my side with my knees drawn up…mmmm…when I use my Quattro FX full face I can sleep on my side IF and only if I put the double sided scotch tape on the edges of my mask then press it to my face,,,works awesomely though I have to peel the tape off my face in the morning…but I love my Swift FX for her pillows better because it is lighter and less claustrophobic…so I sleep on my back and dream tjat one day,,,,

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 March 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm   

After literally years on my back I discovered a Lil' trick. It requires judicious use of what I call "cosmotologist tape", at least that where my bride gets it (beauty supply store) When I would go to bed she would tape me up, avoiding taping over the openning at the top of the mask. It requires thinking about, meaning I fall asleep on my side. If (when) I awaken it even lets me {HANG ON FOR THIS}
    sleep on my stomach, but only for about an hour, but tis glorious, and I return to my side Now you can just try it once and say, "this sucks", cause at first it does. Give it some time! Let me know how it goes. If I didn't have a beard, I swear I'd use thin strips of duct tape, or perhaps "actor's glue". It comes off pretty easy when it is removal time.

• gram15
    gram15 March 18, 2011 at 9:47 pm   

I've had a time adjusting to whatever pillows I sleep on. Can't get my head in "the groove" of the specialty pillow and my regular pillow pushes my nasal pillows just enough that they leak. I try to sleep way on just the edge with the back of my head resting on it, but it still does the same thing. Now I'm beginning to think that the leaks are caused because I've had to use the same nasal pillow ever since I got my machine way back on Jan.24! This is because my first order for replacements arrived with the wrong models and I had to send them back. I have not received the corrected order yet. I was reading the info again and it stated that over time the plastic will deteriorate and you'll get leaks. So maybe it's not the bed pillows but the too-old nasal pillows that's causing all the leaks. Has anyone else had this problem?

• Wanting2BHealthy
    Wanting2BHealthy March 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm   

I would say that I sleep less b/c of this too. My Dr. however; just had their dentist guy (VERY nice man), make me a "Strapless mask". I am concerned NOW with feeling claustrophoic!

• jetwood
    jetwood February 27, 2011 at 6:37 pm   

Englaize, I have dentures do you think i would lose my teeth if i would get a Cpap Pro?
    If i lose the cpap pro out of my month would my teeth come out too?
    Or do you think i would be Ok?

Thanks
    Jerry

• POKEY G
    POKEY G February 23, 2011 at 9:08 am   

I tuck the air line under my side. It seems to work best for me.

• englaize
    englaize January 30, 2011 at 8:09 am   

After trying multiple masks (my insurance does not pay for any of these supplies) so I am free to buy whatever I want if I can afford it. Anyway, I switched to the NOMASK about 3 years ago and have never looked back. It is wonderful, no restrictive head gear, so much more freedom of movement and no leakage or dry mouth. Took a couple of weeks to get used to having it in my mouth but no different really to wearing a mouthguard. Try it…I'm sure you will love it.

• Michael DC
    Michael DC January 29, 2011 at 9:33 pm   
    Edited January 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm by Michael DC

I have to sleep on my left side, and I just tuck the hose under my side, leaving enough free so that I can turn my head and adjust my mask so that it fits snugly. Works for me.

• sleepin good
    sleepin good January 11, 2011 at 8:05 pm   

When I first went for my sleep study, I was told I could only sleep on my back. I thought that I would never sleep again. But once I received my machine, I started sleeping on my side. With a little adjustment each time I turn over, I just pull my mask straight out and adjust it. I have it down to a science! Good Luck!

• lanelocust48
    lanelocust48 March 29, 2011 at 7:54 am   

My sleep apnea is so severe that the sleep doctor suggested that I never sleep on my back. Even with the mask on…my tongue still falls back over and covers my throat. So I do have to sleep on my sides. It's a different type sleep and yes, sometimes I get 'air leaks' that tends to wake me up long enough to adjust the mask one way or another.

• Crabbymomma
    Crabbymomma January 11, 2011 at 6:47 pm   

You don't as far as I know. I feel like I am awake much of the night trying to deal with issues from the C-Pap.

• Marvin47
    Marvin47 January 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm   

I'm using an opus 360 and a headboard hanger to help keep the hose out of the way, but still wake up when I turn to the other side. Mainly because I have to go to the bathroom. If I could stop that I would have a perfect nite's sleep.

• Marvin47
    Marvin47 January 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm   

I'm using an opus 360 and a headboard hanger to help keep the hose out of the way, but still wake up when I turn to the other side. Mainly because I have to go to the bathroom. If I could stop that I would have a perfect nite's sleep.

• Bernadine7
    Bernadine7 December 30, 2010 at 4:08 pm   

I sure wish we knew!

• lanelocust48
    lanelocust48 November 23, 2010 at 7:54 am   

I sleep on my sides. I use the Mirage SoftGel Mask. I am, for the most part very pleased with the mask. I keep my hose usually under my pillows. Before going to bed, I also make sure the mask is properly fitted on my nose. It starts with proper adjustments prior to getting into bed. I have had some minor air leaks with this one…however, I just move it one way or the other and go on sleeping.

• moonstruck0267
    moonstruck0267 January 28, 2011 at 12:01 pm   

what do you do about the air leaks…because of my insurance I can only get a new mask every 6 months unless I want to pay out of pocket…I also have the soft-gel mask and still feel tired during the day

• iamsleepy2
    iamsleepy2 September 28, 2010 at 2:07 pm   

I keep the hose from the nose part going straight up. it helps when you tose and turn

• gtwadj
    gtwadj March 15, 2010 at 7:05 pm   

I use 2 pillows and run my tubing sortof under the bottom pillow against the head board and comes out over the center of the pillow and over my head. When i turn from side to side the tubing doesn't get tangled and for the most part the mask stayes in place. I sleep on my sides only, if I role on my back I wake up.

• pegger
    pegger November 19, 2010 at 10:24 pm   

I do this exact thing and it works great for me also. I find that when the hose is under my pillow and at the back of my head there is less a chance of the water from the humidifier coming into my nose.

• TheDreamer
    TheDreamer March 16, 2010 at 7:53 pm   

I use 3 pillows…and the Hozer to manage my tubing.

I normally sleep on my back…middle pillow. But, if I roll on to my side…left pillow. Or if I need to roll on my stomach…right pillow.

:-D

The Dreamer

• Anonymous
    Anonymous February 26, 2010 at 4:07 pm   

If I think I am going to have a bad night I use drugs. I take Tylenol or Excedrin PM and since I have back and neck pain from an automobile accident I also have Gabapentin, Oxycodone, Cyclobenzaprine and Esgic-Plus. The last one being for my migraine headaches. I also try Motrin PM which seems to work well. The trick it to use very low doses so I can just knock out the pain, take it an hour before I go to bed so I can drift off almost as soon as my head hits the pillow and to situate myself so I will get full use of the mask because I usually don't move once I go to sleep. Probably not an official method but it works for me. Until the pain from the automobile accident goes away this is my shortcut to sleep.

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 March 22, 2011 at 12:43 pm   

You have to be really careful that you are not using med that lower respirations. I am also in a Pain Management program, and besides the Dr. I use the computer and do my own checking. "The Physician's Desk Reference" (PDR) (Dr. bible) is also online.

• zcbeach
    zcbeach February 24, 2010 at 8:23 pm   

I have been a side sleeper for as long as I can remember. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2007. I guess maybe I am doing something wrong, either that, or I am in the lucky few that don't have many of the problems listed above. I sleep with two pillows, the top being a very soft feather pillow, and the bottom being a decent pillow that costs more than $3 from Target or Wal-Mart. Look at the pillows that are a step up from the $3 model. I also use a full face mask and a chin strap. I haven't had any problems. Does this sound wrong?

• CoryMac
    CoryMac February 24, 2010 at 7:35 pm   

Me again. I forgot to add that I purchased a hose holder. It is a metal stand that keeps the hose about two feet above the top of the bead. The base fits between the two matresses and there is a swinging arm on the top end. The hose velcros to this. The hose is kept out of the way. No more getting it twisted around my neck! It was well worth the $40 cost.

• Bernadine7
    Bernadine7 December 30, 2010 at 4:12 pm   

I bought one also. Wish it were a little bit higher since my mattress is thick.
    However, it does work.

• xmastreefarmer
    xmastreefarmer February 25, 2010 at 8:58 am   

I have not tried the hose holder. But I have found that putting the hose in the upward position keeps it away from my neck. If I can I hide my top arm under the pillow and it keeps it warm and shields the exhaust away from my face. As for air leaks, I have noticed that if I use a wipe before I sleep, keeping the mask free of oils I get a pretty tight seal. I use a Comfort Gel mask from Respironics. In cleaning the mask weekly, I use Baby Shampoo instead of detergent. It works in protecting the Gel cover.

• Tracy
    Tracy February 25, 2010 at 5:08 pm   

Just did a product review on a CPAP tubing Lift…this might be the one you have, price range sounds like it is. I really liked it!

http://www.sleepconnect.com/product-reviews/2...

tracy

• Anonymous
    Anonymous February 27, 2010 at 9:40 am   

Yes, you so right. I have a hose holder also. I paid $20.00 for mine. It is great. It easily slips under the mattress. I love it and wouldn't go to anything else.

• snornomor40
    snornomor40 February 27, 2010 at 9:31 pm   

After two years of messing with the G…D… hose all night, mife wife just walks over 2 nights ago and drapes it up and over our head board…duh problem solved. try it.

• snornomor40
    snornomor40 February 27, 2010 at 9:32 pm   

the 'duh' was aimed at me of course ;)

• CoryMac
    CoryMac February 24, 2010 at 7:33 pm   

Apparently I am one of the lucky few. From the start (2002) I was able to use a small nasal mask with no problems. I sleep on my back, side, or stomach! All I have to do is keep the pillow away from the exhaust. It makes too much noise. I switched to using a nasal pillow setup a couple of months ago. I like it better 'cause I can fall asleep with my glasses on while I watch TV. The adjustments are a bit more tricky. If the straps are too tight or tighter on one side or the other the nasal pillows leak or dig into your nose. In the masks I have used the eshaust is away from the face. No cold air blowing on you!

• Kent
    Kent February 24, 2010 at 10:34 am   

After putting my mask on I add a Respironics Premium chin strap. This ties everything together and I have no problem sleeping in any position on any pillow.

• ceweingartner
    ceweingartner February 24, 2010 at 9:31 am   

I use a soft pillow on top of a firmer neck pillow. The soft pillow can be positioned to not interfere with the apparatus. I wasted 75 bucks on a CPAP pillow which is memeory foam withe corner cutouts to accommodate the mask. It was lousy and I went back to a normal pillow. I sleep better, but still wake up frequently and need to adjust the mask periodically because of leaks (usually when the mask is getting old).

• pakeezah33050
    pakeezah33050 February 27, 2010 at 9:44 am   

I had the same problem but found a solution. I wear a soft cotten cap on my head at night. My hair is very fine and thin and the hose slides everywhere causing leaks from my mask. But the cap on my head at night prevents the hose from sliding, therefore I don't have any leaks from my mask. Try it. Hope this works for you.

• Bernadine7
    Bernadine7 December 30, 2010 at 4:14 pm   

Great idea. I find the mask pulls my hair. I shall try using a cap.

• KLGarrison
    KLGarrison February 24, 2010 at 8:50 am   

One of two ways, when I have a neck pillow available that seems to resolve the problem for me. If I don't have the neck pillow (usually because my wife steals it), I have to shift my head to the edge of the pillow

• onelinking
    onelinking May 12 at 10:54 pm   

I got the medium fill "My Pillow" and I love it. You can adjust it easily and it stays the way you want it.

• Erin
    Erin February 23, 2010 at 8:41 pm   

I use a pillow I bought at Costco, it appears to be like a memoryfoam pillow. I adjust the nasal pillows mask ocassionally during the night. I have the hose down like an elephant and give myself plenty of slack under the covers.

• jbarr004
    jbarr004 February 23, 2010 at 9:17 pm   

I use a memory foam pillow with a nasal canula and find I have little to no problem with leakage when I sleep on my side which is about half the time. I have never noticed any odor from my memory foam pillow. In Fact I use one of the one that conforms to your neck for neck support and it works fine on my side also.

• Janicern
    Janicern February 17, 2010 at 5:33 am   

I sleep with a memory foam pillow and it does not break the seal on my nasal pillows I use with my CPAP machine.

• Tracy
    Tracy February 17, 2010 at 1:25 pm   

I agree that special cpap bed pillows are helpful when side or stomach sleeping. My preference is the PAPillow. I find memory foam pillows too hard and they seem to give off heat. I don't like sweating in bed.

Janicern - do you also find that memory foam has an ordor to it? I don't know if its a plastic smell or what, but every time pick up anything memory foam, I find it smells funny. Not something I want to lay my face on.

• JUICE
    JUICE February 17, 2010 at 9:18 pm   

So where do you get a PAPillow? And how much are they?

• JUICE
    JUICE February 17, 2010 at 9:28 pm   

One more thing - since starting CPAP I have had a lot of eye problems - i.e. runny eyes and sore corners of the eye - lots of dryness and matter - is this from the exhaust from my Mirage Liberty Full face mask? can't they figure a way to blow the exhaled air away from the eyes?? Otherwise this is the most comfortable mask I have tried. (Mouth breather - side sleeper)

• BeachHP
    BeachHP February 23, 2011 at 11:27 am   

If the cpap is blowing into your eyes, it means your mask is to big. it should create a seal underneath your eyes. It sounds like thats whats happening with you

• TinaMarie - 8558
    TinaMarie - 8558 February 18, 2010 at 7:27 pm   

I sleep with my hose up, instead of having it down like an elephant's trunk, turn it upside down. I found that the exaust air not only dries my eyes and makes them teary, but in the winter it makes me cold too.

• jbeth
    jbeth February 23, 2010 at 11:25 pm   

I don't know of a way to keep the CPAP machine from blowing air into the eyes, but have found that eye drops that are for dry eyes seem to help me.

• graybrindle
    graybrindle February 23, 2010 at 8:52 pm   

I can't remember the price but they have a cpap pillow at Koles on line store.

• graybrindle
    graybrindle February 23, 2010 at 9:18 pm   

sorry thats kohls.com and the pillow is $119.99

• Phonse65
    Phonse65 March 22, 2011 at 12:46 pm   

OUCH< but if it works, maybe!

• jbeth
    jbeth February 23, 2010 at 9:09 pm   

You can get a CPAP pillow from several places. The best price that I saw was at Overstock.com for $37.70 with a shipping charge of $2.95.

The same pillow sold at Amazon for $58.79. Not sure of shipping costs.

I bought my pillow at Drugstore.com for about $56 plus $6 shipping. I have been happy with my pillow for the most part. I have a full face CPAP mask. Hope this information is helpful.

• lemonlocks
    lemonlocks February 23, 2010 at 9:01 pm   

I use an ultra thin memory foam pillow (from the Sleep-Number store) and a small soft pillow similar to those offered on airplanes. The soft one can be repositioned to keep out of the way of the mask. I have been using a Res-Med face mask (prefer nasal masks, but my darned mouth pops open!), and I toss the hose above my head.

• BeachHP
    BeachHP February 23, 2011 at 11:28 am   

amazon.com has a cpap pillow that has cutouts for your mask to and hose to lay for side sleepers. most insurances will pay for the pillow if you have a drs RX.

• opa1951
    opa1951 February 23, 2010 at 11:49 pm   

My wife had (mine now) a doughnut pillow that we used when traveling that snaps around your neck. I took out the vibrator and feels like it's filled with rice. It not only supports my neck when laying on my back but provides the right amount of clearance to keep the mask from slipping when I roll on my side. I also have a very soft king size feather pillow that I can ball up under my head when i want to sleep on my stomach.

• jjwawa
    jjwawa February 24, 2010 at 8:36 am   

I have the same problem of my mouth opening, you can get a chin strap to hold it closed. It's just a piece of elastic, same as the mask harnes, with velcro. Put it on before the mask just tight enough to hold your mouth closed. I had no problem getting used to it. You can get them from the same place as your mask supplys.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar