Medication: Trazodone/Deseryl Information

By alanco39 Latest Activity February 5, 2010 at 4:21 pm Views 5,957

alanco39

I am a psychiatrist and I wanted to share some information about Trazodone use.

Most users have learned that Trazodone is an antidepressant, which is its primary use. It does have a prominent side-effect, which is sedation. This makes it useful as an adjunct to help people with sleep disturbances.

Its clinical dosages range from 300 mg to 600 mg per day. Most people, however, who may use the medication for insomnia will find much lower doses effective. I mention these higher doses mainly to emphasize that the drug is quite safe up to a 600 mg dose, so that lower-dose users need not be concerned about the safety of doses in the 100 mg - 300 mg range.

When starting to use Trazodone, it is not uncommon for people to experience "weird" dreams for upwards to a week or so, but these almost always disappear after that. It can also cause some dryness of the mouth, but usually this is a mild problem, if any.

If users are having any questions or problems with any prescribed medication, please, always, talk with your prescribing health professional—in preference to listening to the experiences of friends or relatives. Each person reacts to medications in their own unique way, and the reactions or experiences of others usually has little or no bearing on the experiences you may have with the same drug.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (No replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar