Hello

By Gasping-For-Breath Latest Activity June 14, 2016 at 3:58 pm Views 3,688 Replies 7

Gasping-For-Breath

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and have a Cpap machine. I have had Sleep Apnea, probably forever but only knew I was an insomniac. Now I know why I was an insomniac.

The first few nights with my Cpap were extraordinary but I have developed an aversion to the blowing air which seems to take my breath away, having the same effect as Shortness of Breath. So, some nights I rock it and other nights I just can bear it. The mask always slips off too or makes bizarre noises. It helps if I use cool water and ice in the machine. Today, I'm exhausted because I didn't use it last night. Beginning to dread nighttime because of this struggle. Anyone else feel like they're being suffocated with the Cpap?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (7 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Knightstar
    Knightstar August 28, 2016 at 8:00 am   

Hi Gasping-for-Breath. It helps me to prepare at the top of my day. I cut off the television at least an hour before bed.9pm ish. I've been taking this over the counter supplement called restful sleep gummies.

• vjhaynes
    vjhaynes June 15, 2016 at 10:21 am   

Hi, Gasping-For-Breath. I, too, use a CPAP, and I have found sometimes it's the kind of mask you're using. The new nasal pillows are so much less intimidating. I sleep all right with my CPAP—and it has a humidifier on it, too—-but during the night I take it off at some point, waking up in the morning with the machine still going (or, rarely, stopped) and the hose/mask somewhere around my pillow, lol. And you're right. Sometimes it does feel suffocating. But, if you'll let yourself relax, it gets better within a minute or so.

• Gasping-For-Breath
    Gasping-For-Breath June 16, 2016 at 9:18 am   

Hi and thanks vjhaynes, nice to connect with a fellow CPAP user/sufferer. I will say that I sleep much better with it than without it but it is no small thing adjusting to. I will see my Pulmonary guy in July and see if I qualify for the nasal pillow or a different mask. Right now I am using an extra small and its too big…or something. Yes, relaxing and placing my thoughts elsewhere, cuts down on the fear of suffocating! Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar