Marijuana for insomnia??

By Anonymous Latest Activity January 10, 2014 at 8:30 pm Views 3,452 Replies 11 Likes 1

Anonymous

Saw a special on CNN from Dr. Gupka on cannabis usage for insomnia. He even went so far as to endorse its use.

I am a middle aged male who NEVER smoked marijuana… up until a few months ago. Being desperate for sleep I "found" some to try and it seems to work. Smoking is easy but the best effect is when cannabis is used in food. It is longer lasting.
Does anyone have experience or suggestions on this subject.
(In no way am I supporting an illegal - in many states - solution).

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (11 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Gary Wolf
    Gary Wolf March 27 at 5:41 pm   

Legalize

• Wildcat1970
    Wildcat1970 October 25, 2014 at 7:29 am   

Stuff doesn't do anything for me except make me hungry and give me a headache so I quit using it.

• Katiespace
    Katiespace July 8, 2014 at 1:13 pm   

I am willing to try it for sleep, I'll let you know if it helps:)

• Doahh
    Doahh January 26, 2014 at 2:53 am   
    Edited January 26, 2014 at 4:08 am by Doahh

I remember watching a TV programme a few years ago about cannabis usage as I would also be interested in finding out a lot more about it regarding insomnia.

The programme said that cannabis plants contain two active chemicals. One is THC and I can't remember then name of the other one. THC is the therapeutic one but the other helps prevent against psychosis. Unfortunately humans have an enjoyment of getting off their heads and so they breed strains with a higher THC content. This can cause a reduction in the amount of the other chemical and therefore increase the likelihood of psychosis - I think skunk is the variety that has highly increased THC levels and is therefore the variety most likely to have nasty side effects in some people. I would be careful about using this as a solution without being fully informed on the issue. I would expect non-skunk varieties to be more beneficial in the long run

I used cannabis for quite a while, it is even possible that it caused my insomnia, but I also took LSD, speed etc. as well so it may have been that or non of them! It does aid sleep if it does not induce paranoia. Paranoia and other issues may only come after extended usage. Hence I would advise doing your research before using this.

As I say, I only watched a TV programme and have personal experience so it is only annecdotal. It is something that I would like to look into further.

Thanks for the link jayabee, it looks interesting and I will read it now. Having read the link it seems to back up what I was saying about there being two chemicals.

• jayabee52
    jayabee52 January 11, 2014 at 12:35 pm   

see this from the Huffington post blogs on "What Dr Sanjay Gupta doesn't tell us about Weed" ~ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sue-rusche/what...

• Anonymous
    Anonymous January 11, 2014 at 1:46 pm   

I believe cannabis is much safer than the prescription sleep meds I have taken and I have tried them all. I would rather depend on 2 tokes at night ( I do NOT use as a recreational drug) than a pill that may or may not work every 3 days. Is it the answer? Maybe not but right here right now, in conjunction with other aids it is what works for me. Of course my goal is 100% natural sleep. I really hope that to be the case some day.

• jayabee52
    jayabee52 January 26, 2014 at 8:38 am   

I pray you achieve your stated goal anon!

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar