clogged nasal passage after laying down

By dannyd0ne Latest Activity January 2, 2010 at 9:22 pm Views 17,969 Replies 6

dannyd0ne

when ever i lay down my nose clogs up and i have to use a nasal spray to open up before i can wear my nasal pillow then its like I take it off in the middle of the night cause it annoys me, would a full face mask be any better?and what is the differance between sleep apnea and narcolepsy?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (6 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • majeral
    majeral January 13, 2010 at 9:35 am   

I went to an ENT Doc and she has me on Mucinex every 12 hours the regular one. Also when I feel my nose and chest full I use NeliMed nasal rinse. I have not had to go back to her for 3 years now. Also after showering I use swimmer ear drops. I have "fought off: the cold and flu with this system. Because she wrote me a"prescription" I can deduct on taxes. I have had a Cpac for 4 years now. and Yes some times I wake with a headache from the head gear. And sometimes I am still tired.

• brttsan
    brttsan January 3, 2010 at 9:32 pm   

GARY
    TO HELP RELEIVE CONGESTION, U CAN ALSO USE APPLESIDER VINEGAR ON A QTIP. DIP QTIP IN VINEGAR,SWIRL JUST INSIDE NOSTRIL AND INHALE DEEP. THE VINEGAR WILL RELEIVE CONGESTION, REDUCE SWELLING OF NASAL MEMBRANES, ALSO HELPS WITH ALLERGYS, AND YOU WILL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER SINUS INFECTION AS LONG AS YOU LIVE WITH DAILY USE. I MUST TELL U ALWAYS USE HEINZ APPLECIDER VINEGAR, AS IT IS THE PUREST. CHEAP RELIABLE ALTERNATIVE TO NASAL SPRAY AND NOT ADDICTIVE LIKE NASAL SPRAY IS.
    BRETT

• Kmar
    Kmar January 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm   

Thanks for your info. I have just the nose piece with my Cpap machine and soon as I lay down my nose stops up. It makes it very difficult to breath. I do have the heater on my machine and it is brand new. If I turn the heat up, I collect water in the pipe, so I am left with the one setting. During the summer, I do not have a problem, just this winter. I don't know if the weather has anything to do with it or not. I will try the vinegar and hopefully it will help. Thanks again!

• nitengale2
    nitengale2 January 13, 2010 at 8:41 am   

I found a fleece cover for the hose that really helps with the condensation problem. http://www.directhomemedical.com/hose-tubing-...

• Brycine
    Brycine January 13, 2010 at 1:14 pm   

Thank you for the information. I've been using a netti and sometimes it seems to clog me too. So I will be trying to use this and will tell my sister (who will be getting her CPAP very soon here).

• Tracy
    Tracy January 2, 2010 at 10:16 pm   

hi danny and again welcome to sleep connect!

People with apnea who have nasal congestion issues should have an ENT (ear nose & throat) evaluation. Maybe you have already done that since you write that you use a nasal spray. Is it by prescription from a doctor or is it over the counter?

Use a cpap humidifier - it's really important for apnea patients, especially those that have nasal congestion issues AND ALSO, I think, those that use nasal pillows - like you and me! The air is being blasted directly in to your nostrils and can quickly dry out the nasal lining which is highly vascular…when this occurs it can cause congestion promptly for some! The body has its own defense mechanism/humidification so when it becomes dry, the body kicks in and can create excess mucus or flat out congestion. Using a humidifier should greatly help you. If you have one already, try turning the heat up a wee bit. I think humidification is a necessity, not a luxury for us apnea patients! Always use distilled water in it.

If your congestion is so bad that you have to breathe through your mouth, then absolutely consider a full face mask. If you mouth breath and use nasal pillows, you are really NOT treating your apnea. The air will enter through the nostrils and come flying out of your mouth instead of entering your lungs!

If you like nasal pillows, I recommond the full face mask called ResMed Mirage Liberty - because its a combination of nasal pillows connected to an oval frame that encircles the mouth. It one of the smallest full face mask systems on the market. It is the one I use on the nights I have a cold and cannot breathe through my nose and therefore cannot sleep with just my nasal pillow mask! Here is a picture of it - check it out at your local home healthcare provider and consider getting one the next time your insurance is due to provide a new mask for you!
    http://www.resmed.com/us/products/mirage_libe...

The difference between sleep apnea and narcolepsy, well, considerable.

Narcolepsy is a neurological sleep disorder - here is an overview:

Narcolepsy (N) is a chronic sleep disorder. The main characteristic of N is excessive and overwhelming daytime sleepiness. A person with N is likely to become drowsy or fall asleep at inappropriate times and places. Daytime sleep attacks may occur with or without warning. Sleep attacks may be irresistible and may occur repeatedly in a single day.

Narcoleptics may experience other symptoms. Excessive Daytime Sleepiness (EDS), Cataplexy (C), Sleep Paralysis (SP), Hypnagogic Hallucinations (HH), Automatic Behavior (AB), Disrupted Nighttime Sleep (DNS), Microsleeps (MS) and others.

Cataplexy (C) is a temporary decrease or complete loss of muscle control triggered by a strong emotion such as laughing, anger, or surprise. It can range from a weakness in the knees to a complete "rag doll" collapse to the ground. Though conscious and aware of their surroundings you are essentially paralyzed. The frequency of C varies from person to person and they usually does not last more than a few minutes.

Cataplexy is seen in about 70% of patients with narcolepsy, and its presence with excessive daytime sleepiness strongly suggests the diagnosis of narcolepsy Specific historical question concerning cataplexy are required.

Sleep Paralysis (SP) is a brief loss of muscle control that occurs as a person is drifting to sleep or awakening. While somewhat aware of their surroundings, they are unable to move or speak. It is often accompanied by hallucinations.

Normal sleep paralysis occurs during REM sleep in normal subjects.

Hypnagogic Hallucinations (HH) are vivid dream-like images and sounds that are experienced at sleep onset. These images can be very frightening. Emotions that can accompany these images are fear, anxiety, and dread.

Automatic Behavior (AB) is when a person performs tasks and activities while awake and without recollection of the event. Essentially, it is a "black out" during wakefulness.

A Microsleep (MS) is a lapse from wakefulness into sleep (stage 1) that lasts just a few seconds. Characteristics of microsleeps include repeated yawning and/or difficulty keeping ones eyes open. Memory formation is usually impaired during microsleeps.

Disrupted Nighttime Sleep (DNS) A person may awaken several times throughout the night or awaken and remain awake for long periods of time every night.

If you think you may have narcolepsy - discuss the symptoms with your sleep doctor. Many people who have sleep apnea that is not yet treated, may experience symptoms of narcolepsy due to their excessive sleep deprivation. However, narcolepsy is much more than just falling asleep at inappropriate times!

Apnea is a Greek word meaning 'want of breath". There are 3 types of sleep apnea: obstructive, central and mixed. People with sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly during sleep. Untreated this can contribute to heart problems, high blood pressure, stroke and diabetes.

Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is usually caused by physical abnormalities such as a narrow airway, enlarged tonsils/adenoids, enlarged tongue, a recessed jaw, or nasal obstruction/congestion. Obstructive apnea occurs when the normally patent airway closes and blocks the needed airflow.

Hope this information is helpful and not overwhelming! Please keep asking questions - all of us at sleep connect are here to help YOU.

Tracy

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar