Facing military discharge for Cataplexy, Narcolepsy, Sleep Apnea

By shakysleepy Latest Activity June 27, 2012 at 6:14 pm Views 2,669 Replies 8 Likes 1

shakysleepy

Wanting to see if anyone else has faced a military discharge due to having any of the same diseases I am suffering from. I am being told a 10% disability rating is all I will get, but I will not keep my insurance benefits unless I get a 30% rating. Any advice would be great?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (8 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • shakysleepy
    shakysleepy August 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm   

That would be great

• DayWraith
    DayWraith August 8, 2012 at 4:01 am   

I just met a PWNC- disabled vet- she was diagnosed about 7.5 years ago in Alaska. I'm going to get her on here. She was in the air force. I told her about you. Gotta get you guys in touch some how. Weird thing is- I dated her step brother in high school. She is about 4 years older than me. I never knew her. We just "met" at The workforce commission in June. Became friends of FB. Just found out via FB after I posted a poem that she was. We talked for two hours last night.

• shakysleepy
    shakysleepy August 10, 2012 at 1:56 pm   

That would be great

• Leslee_Lane
    Leslee_Lane August 8, 2012 at 2:50 am   

Have you been deployed?

• shakysleepy
    shakysleepy August 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm   

No

• tiffizhere
    tiffizhere July 3, 2012 at 1:10 pm   

My advice to you would be to go talk to the lawyers on your base if you are still in the service. Its free and they might be able to find out information that you may have not been told about. Also I would get in touch with Veterans affairs and get set up with them you can get free medical care and co pays on your prescription. They will also help you file a claim for your disability. I would be aware that disability is extremely backed up on filing claims so DO NOT rely on them to have your claim done with in the time they say. My husbands disability took 2 yrs from the time he filed for it to finally be approved and he filed while still in the service. Just be prepared to wait a while. Here is the website for veterans affairs http://www.va.gov/ check it out and find the local one near you and schedule an appointment. good luck!

• Otterbob
    Otterbob June 28, 2012 at 8:45 pm   

Sorry to hear that. I made through my first enlistment with out many problems and it wasn't
    Until I re-upped in the weekend warriors that I started having problems. They thought I just didn't care any more and I was nothing but a big shammer. The solution at the time was to give me a general discharge that up graded to an
    Honorable after six mo. No benefits for me though. I was experiencing a lot of problems but
    I had no idea what was wrong with me then. I just took the discharge and left. How ever, check with the V.A. If you all ready haven't done so. Wuuuuup!

• cataylor
    cataylor June 28, 2012 at 3:29 am   

Husband in military here in NZ and one of his colleagues is narcoleptic. Will see if I can get a contact for him as he may be able to help you. In the meantime, good luck.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar