Inside of nose has burning sensation...

By kaiya2465 Latest Activity March 20, 2012 at 11:36 am Views 9,194 Replies 102 Likes 2

kaiya2465

The inside of my nose has a burning sensation after using my machine, any ideas on what may be causing this? Humidity, allergies, can't seem to get any ideas from the doctor so here I am…

Thanks

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (102 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • gatp
    gatp April 20, 2012 at 10:33 am   

Do you use a water tank? Or maybe something like chlorine in your water is the problem. I used distilled water.

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 April 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm   

I don't use anything but distilled water at this time.

• ladybugs
    ladybugs March 25, 2012 at 1:58 am   

Hi twinkletoes and kaiya2464! Thanks for being patient with me when my notes overlapped yours, Which were often more concise than my own posts.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 25, 2012 at 7:52 pm   

hi you are doing just fine! if you get a chance to notice I tend to overlap everywhere, it is what it is! LOL

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 25, 2012 at 8:36 am   

Ladybugs: It's all good, we learn from each other. Don't feel like your notes are in the wrong place, because sometimes others answer & send when your still typing…

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 24, 2012 at 7:13 pm   

One of these days I will build a container for my CPAP that will have a removeable 12 x 12 filter in it. These are not cheap, about $15 from Lowe's for the good ones, but it will filter the air so much better than the ones that come with it.

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 24, 2012 at 7:09 pm   

A fellow CPAP user has put a "capful" of hydrogen peroxide in her humidifier each night and she says it has helped her with the clogged sinuses tremendously.

• gatp
    gatp April 20, 2012 at 10:34 am   

This is good and it cleans out any mold.

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 24, 2012 at 7:47 pm   

Let your fellow cpap user to do more research on what that can do to her lungs…yikes…bad idea.

• gatp
    gatp April 20, 2012 at 10:34 am   

I just use it to wash the tank and then add distilled water.

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 26, 2012 at 9:46 am   

Back before the "invention" of modern antibiotics and antiseptics, hydrogen peroxide and silver were the main means to fight infection.

• cavie2
    cavie2 March 26, 2012 at 11:21 am   

J you're showing your age, was that when dinosaurs roamed the earth?

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 26, 2012 at 12:09 pm   

Remember C, you are MUCH older than me! :)

• cavie2
    cavie2 March 26, 2012 at 1:50 pm   
    Edited March 26, 2012 at 1:53 pm by cavie2

Only by numbers J, I still have the looks and body of a 20 year old. And it's only 4 years 11 months and 3 weeks difference. hahaha

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 26, 2012 at 1:58 pm   

Can you send me one of those magic mirrors?

• jigsaw
    jigsaw March 31, 2012 at 4:47 pm   

Be careful, she bites!

• cavie2
    cavie2 April 2, 2012 at 11:26 am   

Who, Where, Whit, When, ME!!

• jigsaw
    jigsaw April 2, 2012 at 2:02 pm   

Just kidding! I think your very sweet imho!

• cavie2
    cavie2 March 26, 2012 at 2:03 pm   

You can get one at the fair ground shows in the hall of mirrors. The squiggly one's that make you fat I don't like them much.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 26, 2012 at 2:58 pm   

haha I say too bad for the DME, you know what you can do and if you sleep better with it back to 10, what's it to him? It's like mine, she has set it to 80 degrees with medium high humidity,,,I keep telling her I cant breathe with it on those settings, in one ear out the other…I can hear her thoughts "that's what they told me to set it to in my 3 week DME course, so that's what "gonna be!"

• gatp
    gatp April 20, 2012 at 10:37 am   

I like no heat at all, just mist.

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 26, 2012 at 4:02 pm   

I set mine back up to 10, but still having that issue…

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 24, 2012 at 8:21 pm   

its not going to do any more to my lungs than all the garbage floating inthe air, and all the "medicine" I have called inhalers…GSE is safe, if you can drink, you can breathe it…I read another post where the sleep tech told him to put a drop of this in his humidifier water…I put 15 drops in a glass and drink it every day…I put it on my skin and spray it on my fruits veggies and meats…I am more worried about what Cpap is doing to me…

• gatp
    gatp April 20, 2012 at 10:39 am   

You'll get an effect like Ozone after too much H202, but a few drops ought to be fine. I use it as a mouthwash. Can't be worse than alcohol and thymol in commercial mouthwash is my thinking.

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 24, 2012 at 8:55 pm   

I do understand the good side of GSE with the research, I am just trying to make sure what's good for the lungs too. I definitely agree with you on the pollution in the air & etc.. hence the calls that have been made to find out more.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 24, 2012 at 9:32 pm   

Thank you kaiya. I really do appreciate your help and enjoy your posts and insight. This is my last ditch effort. Because I am sick of being sick on cpap. If this doesn't work I am joining the 60 percent who knew when enough was enough and ditch this "therapy" so thanks for all your help. I am listening

• gatp
    gatp April 20, 2012 at 10:41 am   

Also, use H202 to wash out your hose.I know, it is supposed to wear them out but insurance pays for a new one once in awhile. Medicare, every two months. I imagine they feel hoses are cheaper than pneumonia.

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 April 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm   

Medicare pays for a new hose every 3 months that I know of.

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 25, 2012 at 8:38 am   

Your welcome & I am almost at that point now. But I will keep you posted, please do the same & maybe we can figure it out…or not.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 26, 2012 at 7:41 pm   

will do,

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 24, 2012 at 7:07 pm   

My CPAP unit went on the blink and the loaner did not have a humidifier. Guess what? Burning sensation for the first time. I suspect you may need to raise your heat/humidity level to get it to go.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 24, 2012 at 6:39 pm   

Kaiya I just was on line at cpapwholesale.com, and saw a gadget for $3.59. It is a bacteria filter you put on the end of your hose and then attach to the machine..like a filter after the humidifier…it is by AG industry and is called a bacteria filter…I think I'll order one

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 26, 2012 at 9:48 am   

It is funny, I miss read the web address above a few times as "crapwholesale" and wondered why they were selling CPAP products!

• cavie2
    cavie2 March 26, 2012 at 11:23 am   

could it have been because they were crap?

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 26, 2012 at 7:39 pm   

hahahaha a big yes!!!! yes yes!

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 24, 2012 at 6:56 pm   

Twinkletoes: Thanks for that info, will check it out & most likely buy one also. I did do some investigation about GSE (fyi only) I called some of the manufactures & started nosing around about any testing data on the effects of GSE getting into the lungs. As of 3/24/12 there has been no such testing done for inhalation of GSE.

Just wanted you to know that info for your own knowledge. I am still thinking about trying it, but have a lil more investigating to do. I will keep you updated.

• ladybugs
    ladybugs March 24, 2012 at 4:08 pm   

Has anyone use Afrin when the nose is absolutely plugged? It must be used sparingly.

My sinuses get plugged up to, my doctor has me using Flonase.
    They also recommend using the "Breathright" nasal strips.

Have you seen an ENT? Along with sinuses I have a deviated septum and the Cartilage at the tip of my nose collapses, hence the use of breathe right strips. Im waiting to see the ENT to shrink the turbinates and correct the septum.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 24, 2012 at 8:16 pm   

I have used Afrin,,,I get addicted to nasal decongestants and have to go in for prednesone and antibiotics. You can only use them for 3 days, but I never clear up before then so I try to stay away from sprays…but latelly my sinuses have acted up and I have been using the neosynephrin 4 hour nose drops,,,its the 12 hour sprays that really get me in trouble…yes I have been to an ENT, but I have no insurance so treatment is minimal,,,I am on nasonex, now, I hate it…ilt is worthless,,,I keep telling them it doesnt work and they keep writing the prescription for it…

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 21, 2012 at 12:43 pm   

well Kaiaya,,I put one drop of GSE in my humidifier and I started the burning sneezing last night 15 minutes after getting into cpap, as usual. ..but I quieted down and got some sleep. this morning my stuffiness has greatly improved and my sense of smell is returning. i am not discontinuing GSE this time. ..it works so iam going to continue,,,i figure if it is this good my first day, then i ought to improve every day, but i'l lkeep you posted :) but i may increase to 2 drops on a full humidifier tonight. A 10 dollar bottle of GSE is better than all the expense of switching masks, tubings and machines. it might be how my supply company stays in business but at this point for me it is meds and food clothing and gas or fancy expensive cpap supplies …know what I mean!! :)

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 26, 2012 at 9:51 am   

I wash my hose, humidifier, and mask in a 1 part bleach 9 part water solution once a week. I have been doing this for 5 years. No mold, no mildew, no sneezing. I wash it, let it sit on the drain board for 30-60 seconds, then rinse well with water.

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 21, 2012 at 1:46 pm   

I hear you loud & clear, I think I will be right behind you soon…

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 21, 2012 at 10:40 am   
    Edited March 21, 2012 at 10:45 am by kaiya2465

Well my idea didn't work so now I am Really Frustrated, you'd think I would have everything figured out by 2 yrs. GRRRRRRRRRRR. I keep holding back on that GSE, but it sure is starting to look like I might do it!!!

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 21, 2012 at 6:57 pm   

can I ask what you idea was, maybe two heads can modify

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 21, 2012 at 7:17 pm   

Nothing big, had never had the humidity all the way up so I did that…didn't make a difference at all. my pressure is 9, so I am now out of ideas that people have suggested & also of ones I could come up with. I honestly am not sure if the GSE will work for me, buit that is the only idea I have not tried.

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 24, 2012 at 7:10 pm   

Why not up your pressure by 1 or 2 points? I am suppose to be at 8. Went to 12 and doing much better.

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 24, 2012 at 7:49 pm   

Am thinking about putting it back up to 10, I had it there but the DME threw a fit.

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 26, 2012 at 9:53 am   

DME? If that is the respitory therapist, so what, it is not their life. I tried mine at 14 and found that to be too much. 12 works for me.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 24, 2012 at 9:31 am   

Kaiya, I took the chamber off and took the filter off and shot a light from a small flashlight in the holes.of the fan part of the cpap..there was dust and dirt in my fan portion,I took a cottonball to the portion behind the filter-FILTHY!! this may be my problem, even tho I change my filters when unneeded and I use the better filter, not the standard, I wiped what I could see with a dry small white cloth as far as I could go, I don't know what the brown stuff was, but the cloth came back with yuck on it…I gotta find a way to clean that side of the cpap with out screwing up the electronics…but so far with what I did, it is working fine…I hope I am on to something for both our sakes!! :)

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 26, 2012 at 9:55 am   

I have the luxery of an air compressor at my house. I modified it using a sersis of hose to a fine pin point of a WD 40 nozzle. The pressure is great and I blow it out from both ends until I see no more dust.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 24, 2012 at 9:54 am   

I noticed behind the filter was some white fibers from the filter, maybe that is part of the reaction, I use the Hypo filters, to night I may slip my filter in a piece of panty hose/nylon stocking to see if that wil hold back lint from the filter…we will see!!

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 24, 2012 at 9:08 am   

last night was my 3rd night with a drop of GSE in my water,,,I did not need nasal spray yesterday of this morning, and last night I did not have that burning feeling or congestion…but I was thinking of something,,,yesterday, i cleaned my air purifier for the room, i change the filter when the indicator says its only half way dirty…when I took off the filter, I noticed the inside where the fan is had dust all in it, even tho the filter is a HEPA filter,,,how can that be! But it made me wonder about the fan in our cpap…sure we are going nuts cleaning the water chamber, hoses and masks…but I will bet the fan portions of our cpaps are filthy…I am just guessing here. So today when I take my machine apart to disinfect the hoses, mask and chamber, I am going check behing the little white filter to see if there is dust and dirt behind it. I'll keep you posted

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 26, 2012 at 9:56 am   

HEPA filters only are benificial if there is a seal around them. Air will take the path of least resistance, around the filter instead of through.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm   

forgive for this, because I am about to ask you if you have tried something and I know you have been working with this for 2 years as I have only been working with mine 1 year and I am fed up with these questions, as if I just lay there, staring at the ceiling,,,I know everyone is trying to help, but after a while,"Have you tried this…" gets offensive…but here goes:
    Tracy said something about the temp up and the humidity low,,,I tried and it work for a couple of weeks…mmmm, you probably tried that…you know that Dr Park could be on to something, maybe some people just cant take forced air on their sinuses and noses,,,I think I'm one of them people…

• ladybugs
    ladybugs March 26, 2012 at 2:57 pm   

Maybe you are one of the individuals that would benefit from a asvpap series eg asvpap SV?

• ladybugs
    ladybugs March 26, 2012 at 2:58 pm   

And in the very near future there will be an affordable "gently used" one available. Hope hope…

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 26, 2012 at 9:58 am   

On mine I do not have separate controls. If I want the humidity up, then the temp has to go up. The humidity is controlled by the amount of heat applied. Think of a pot on the stove. At low temp the steam is less than at a hight temp.

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 21, 2012 at 7:42 pm   

nothing to forgive, I have tried that already, I try to do the things Tracy suggests because she's more experienced. But even her ideas have not worked for the better in my situation. I don't like FF masks, but I might end up using one again & start all over.

• Tracy
    Tracy March 21, 2012 at 9:59 am   

http://www.sleepconnect.com/sleep-disorder-ar...

Here is an article about using humidification properly to resolve burning sensations, runny nose, stuffy nose from cpap!

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 21, 2012 at 6:57 pm   

hi tracy, yes I read this article…it is informative, although i have tried these remedies and with asthma I just cant have my humidifier up and the heat with the high humidity is claustrophobic,,,I believe the constant force air, dry or humid, is an irritant to my sinuses…and keeps my sinuses infected…the cycle is now becoming dissappointing and I find myself in a depression and dealing with anxiety over this constant battle with cpap settings and sinus infections…I am tempted to go without my cpap to see if my sinuses recovery and then make a decision to continue therapy because it has been over a year with working with cpap, and I think i can say I have tried most everything in my power (both will and financial) to make this work…I just can't deal with anymore of this on top of still being tired and not sleeping good…

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm   

Twinkletoez: I am with you on Asthma & high humidity not good, for me it makes breathing even harder.

• ladybugs
    ladybugs March 20, 2012 at 11:23 pm   

Also we can get a cream from emus and does not compromise the nose pillows, ask your DME.

• ladybugs
    ladybugs March 24, 2012 at 3:48 pm   

Hi! There is a lotion/cream that is derived from the emu. Please don't let that scare you off. It can be found at a local dme, or on line and is about $10.00 . Another product that can be used is K&Y lubricant or any one of the store brands.

Imho I worry about the different things mentioned. Eg Vicks and like products have petroleum(oil) in them which breaks down the various plastics/ silicone used with the nose pillows/ cushions. Also, if the dish soap has/ says " antibacterial, or feature predominately the ability to break down grease ie Dawn which is used on animals rescued from oil spills, AVOID. Them.
    I hope wasn't long winded etc.

• cavie2
    cavie2 March 26, 2012 at 11:34 am   

I use the Emu Oil on my face, neck and hands have done so for years. Sometimes use it on my scalp, if you apply it to cuts or burns etc it speeds up the healing process as well.

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 26, 2012 at 10:05 am   

The "life" of the hose and pillows is 3-6 months depending on who you ask. I guess I wonder about the balance. Example if the Vicks helps someone and they replace their hose every 3 months, is it hurting them?
    Curious why you say stay away from the anitbacterial. I do, just because I know it does not do much good. First of all it is weak. Second, most people do not let it sit on the item for the required 30 seconds.
    I use a bleach solution 1part to 9 parts water, or QUAT. don't know if QUAT is available to the general public, but Lysol is one manufacturer. The mix on that is 1 teaspoon to a gallon of water.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 20, 2012 at 6:28 pm   

Kaiya, I just checked that site. that site is for grape seed extract, far different from grapeFRUIT seed extract!! the studies done on GSE has no side affects, you'd have to drink literally tons of gallons of it to harm you. but studies showed ingested, inhaled, on the skin had no adverse reaction,,,now if you are allergic to grapefruit i think i would hesitate

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 20, 2012 at 6:33 pm   

I thought GSE was grape seed ext, sorry my bad…Thank you for the catch. Where do you get the GrapeFruit seed Ext.?

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 20, 2012 at 6:37 pm   

the vitamin shoppe, or any other health food store,,,don't worry about the mix up, I did it too

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm   

Ok, Thank you…

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 20, 2012 at 5:58 pm   

GSE is out for me, can cause internal bleeding…not worth the chance!!!!

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/side-effects-o...

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 20, 2012 at 3:43 pm   

hey, Kaiya I googled our problem,,,seems like an awful lot of people (even from other sites) have this problem,,,with heated hoses and humidifiers…they ain't getting any answers either..that cheered me up a bit

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 20, 2012 at 3:48 pm   

I'm glad it helped cheer you up, yes there are a lot of us. I think that is why I have not given up yet..it just gets frustrating sometimes. How high have you had your humidifier? what mask are you using?

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 20, 2012 at 2:50 pm   

well 1 month and a half ago my sinuses flared up…i believe the cpap is the culprit for the vicious cycle…i am having sinus flare up AGAIN..that means more steroids and more antibiotics…NO I am going back to using GSE,,,It works and hasnt killed anyone yet,,,and some sleep doctors are saying to their patients to do it, I have done it 1 or 2 drops in the water and next day i'm smelling and breathing…I can't tell you what to do but its worked for me,,,and I cant take this suffering any longer…I feel so alone about this and very jealous of those who say it saved their lives and never slept better…

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 20, 2012 at 3:28 pm   

Don't beat yourself up, I know people that have tried it & say never again & others that swear on it. I have yet to honestly see the good in it, but I have not given up yet…I will give up the minute I run out of ideas to try. Best Wishes to you…The GSE might be the thing I try next, since the Resp. persons can't find a fix for it…Keep in touch.

Hugs

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 20, 2012 at 4:20 pm   

thank you
    there is quite a few people on cpap using 1 or 2 drops of Gse, heres another fellow with our problem. I think my problem is solved using this,,,hope it works for you, if you go ahead and do it,,,just a tip,,,if it makes you feel worse, ditch it quick…but it hasn't hurt me and at this point I don't care about the warranty
    Yo Russell,
    I followed the instructions and set the unit at 4 for the first night. Inst. stated 5. Depending on the humidity in the sleeper you will have to adjust slightly. Use distilled water, and I add one drop of grapefruit seed extract to the canister each night,(recommended by the CPAP techs). It helps keep down the bacterial count. Lastly, I'd recommend keeping the equipment, hoses, mask, canister, etc. washed daily with a mild soap solution. Let us know how you do with the CPAP set up on the road. I will have my first on the road (travel trailering) this summer and don't know exactly what to expect.
    Safe truck'n

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 20, 2012 at 4:27 pm   

I hear ya on not caring about the warranty anymore. So if my idea don't work tonight…A trip to pick up GSE…

Thanks

• Continued on Next Page Arrow-right
Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar