Putting stuff in your humidifier, other than water

By twinkletoez Latest Activity January 31, 2012 at 9:58 pm Views 14,893 Replies 38 Likes 4

twinkletoez

Hi. I read that a cpap tech told a guy to put a drop or two of grapefruit seed extract in his humidifier. It's supposed to be an all natural antifungal disinfectant. With tons of uses. Read another article where a guy was putting in 2 drops of the stuff in his cpap humidifier to keep his sinus infection under controll. So I did that last night too and tonight my sinuses are 90 percent better. Needed no nasal spray or decongestant tonight though I had to all week. Anybody else hear of this?? It's amazing how much better I'm breathing.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (38 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • ladybugs
    ladybugs March 24, 2012 at 4:55 pm   

Thanks for expanding and clarifying things!! I too have worked in grocery and produce markets!

Another safer cleaning product is to make a borax/ water solution. This one the doctors gave my father to use after his lung transplant.

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 12, 2013 at 3:16 pm   

Borax, that is still available? I guess I have not looked for it. Isn't that the 20 mule team product? Oh, age giver!

• ladybugs
    ladybugs March 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm   

If you use any meds like Valium, it can cause complications if eating etc with grapefruit.

• Jim Edwards
    Jim Edwards March 12, 2013 at 3:14 pm   

Good. Glad you pointed this out. Remember, those pamplets they give you with your medication. Take a look at them. I have 3 that say "no grapefruit". I wonder if other citrus, like lemon juice would work as well wo side effects. I use two products for cleaning my CPAP. One is QUAT. I do not know where you can get that. I get it through work. One brand is made by Lysol. Expensive by the gallon, but you add 1 tsp or 1 tsb per gallon of water, so it last forever. The other is good old bleach. It will actully disinfect at 1 part bleach to 20 parts water, but I use 1:10. Some people say that the bleach will harm the hoses. Maybe, but through a company called Americare, my hose and other dispensible supplies cost me $100 per year and that include 2 new humidifer chambers per year, 12 air filters, and 12 hoses! Prior to this I replaced my hose once a year. I use 1 cup of 3% bleach to 1/2 gallon of water or 1/2 cup of 6% bleach. The important thing when using bleach it to put the hose in the water and get it completely wet, then empty the hose and let it sit on the drainboard for 1 minute, then rinse it in clean water. I do this for the hose, the nose piece and for the humidifer container. I then use a brush designed for cleaning test tubes to clean out the humidifer tank, adding dish detergent. BTW, the anti-bacterial detergents and hand soap are next to useless against germs. Thankfully with my new Rescumed machine that tank comes apart for cleaning.

• cavie2
    cavie2 March 27, 2012 at 9:16 pm   

Grapefruit is well known for cancelling out medication, it's something you should stay away from when taking medication of any kind. Unfortunately Doctors never seem to mention this when writing out a prescription for patients and this can be extremely dangerous for the patient.

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 29, 2012 at 7:55 am   

Well that bites the big one. I like grapefruit, & cavie2…your right the doctor sure left that piece of info out of the convo.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 29, 2012 at 8:14 am   

Kaiya. That is ingested grapefruit. Quite different. But if you are concerned I would stay away from game

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 29, 2012 at 8:38 am   

I actually eat grapefruit, now I am wondering if it isn't the reason my Dilantin seems to be very low when they check the levels.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 29, 2012 at 8:45 am   

Could very well be! You should check to see the manufacturer or ask your pharmacist. He def could tell you

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 March 29, 2012 at 8:47 am   

I will do that, it's a very impotant piece of info to have.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 29, 2012 at 8:16 am   

Gse. Darn auto correct feature

• ladybugs
    ladybugs March 27, 2012 at 10:23 pm   

I read this when I was on Valium, a short course.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm   

I heard that you should not take most meds, like allergy meds with grapefruit or orange juice. that it will either make them weaker or stronger, which ever med you are taking…Grapefruit seed extract is made from the oil of the center of the grapefruit seed,,,farmers use it a lot to disinfect and as an antifungal to spray their equipment…it is powerful, but extremely safe around people and food stuff..so far!…I use it all over in the house now, to fight fungus and mold and to disinfect my kitchen counters,,,and also I spray all my fruits and veggies and meats with it ,,,mainly because I worked in a grocery store and know how things get handled there. LOL thanks for sharing, Ladybugs

• Chaplain Dennis
    Chaplain Dennis February 3, 2012 at 4:33 am   

Twinkletoez do what works for you. Aspirin don't work for some. Others, aspirins a God send.
    GSE works… Why throw it out.
    IMHO, C-Pap, P-Pap works for some. Not all. I have heard both testimonies.
    Chears!

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez February 3, 2012 at 9:29 am   

Hi Chappy, I went without putting it it my cpap night before last and was stuffy and sneezy all day,,,it was miserable,,,so last night, i put GSE back in and today, I'm clear and feel great…I wonder why no experts are looking into this as a non toxic and non harmful way to disinfect our cpap and accessories…and treat some ongoing issues with sinus reactions to airflow etc…I'm not crazy, I'm not out to kill myself, I just want some sleep!!! without the drugs!!

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 February 3, 2012 at 2:53 pm   

Twinkletoez: Be careful because when you put things in the humidifier if it messes up it voids any warranties. Don't get me wrong I am still seriously thinking on trying the GSE. But just wanted you to have that info..

Hugs

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez February 3, 2012 at 6:25 pm   

will do! thanks for the info

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 February 3, 2012 at 9:02 pm   
    Edited February 3, 2012 at 9:05 pm by kaiya2465

Your welcome & thank you for giving me something to think seriously about. I'll have to weigh the win v loss…breath better or continue fighting to use the stupid machine…lol…I know..It should be a no brainer!!!

• Tracy
    Tracy February 1, 2012 at 9:20 am   

my comment would be to always consult with your doctor before you add anything to the distilled water in your cpap humidifier. I have polled a lot of sleep docs and in each case they have told me "NO"… we don't want to risk ingesting anything in to our lungs that might be harmful.

• Chaplain Dennis
    Chaplain Dennis February 3, 2012 at 4:43 pm   

Tracy, I drive a truck for a living. Diesel powered. Have you ever spent time in a truck and breathed the air inside one of these cabs? I can tell you (First hand knowledge) air Quality in a big rig is NOT on the list of Priorities with the EPA.
    When they start reheating that, then we may see some dramatic improvements with health issues and Truck Drivers.
    GSE is a minut concern with one who injects various unknown quantities of toxins daily on their job.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez February 3, 2012 at 9:22 pm   

and just in case you say I should talk to my sleep doctor,,,I did,,,they offered ambien, so I can be drugged sleep thru my misery :@) <<<me wearing my cpap, like a good girl

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez February 3, 2012 at 9:18 pm   

Really!! I truly believe driver fatigue is really caused by bad air quality in trucks and most probably the culprit of driver apnea, but I dont thing EPA cares about what the air is like IN a cab as long as that bad air dont escape to the outside, the blacksoot
    that is in EVERYTHING in the cab has got to be building up in your sinuses and lungs..still my cpap is not making breathing any better,,,I didnt put anything in my humidifier tonight and I'm up now with a stuffy nose and sniffles that I didnt go to bed with. Happens every night, whats worse? staying up all night trying to breathe with a cpap or sleeping all night, right thru your apneas? they never woke me before! and either way I am still tired.

• Chaplain Dennis
    Chaplain Dennis February 3, 2012 at 9:58 pm   

There are three air quality control filters built into a freightliner. They are BLACK when I change them. (Every 30 Days). PLUS I run an air cleaner 24/7. Which the filter has permently turned black. By the way the 3 filters are white when new. Air quality is like living in China next to one of their coal burning generator plants.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez February 1, 2012 at 9:26 am   

I understand LOL I been there, smoked many years

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 February 1, 2012 at 6:26 am   

I have always been told never to add anything into the humidifier, but the distilled water. Besides I would not want to put extra things in my lungs other than air. I hope there is a right answer out there for you…Good Luck,

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez February 1, 2012 at 8:47 am   

hi kaiya, I have lived with asthma for a long time, pumping steroids and albuterol in my lungs..but after reading the label on the grapefruit seed extract, I'm pretty comfortable with it. you can put it in juice and drink it, put it in nasal sprayers for nasal congestion, or neti pots for sinus rinses, spray it on fruits and veggies for cleaning and sanitizing, for vaporizing and room humidifiers, use it for personal feminine hygene, as ear drops and after reading that it is completlely non-toxic to human and opposed to some meds we are required to take. After my second night on it, my sinuses are clearing and I am finally breathing freer. So I am going to do it for a few more nights until, hopefully, my sense of smell returns. I have been dealing with sinus infections for 3 years, and am tired of the prednisone and doxycyline routine, even tho it works, steroids arent good for you, either…It seems as long as i have been on cpap, its been experimental, too. Trying different masks, different settings, more sleep studies, different machines, and if they dont work, modifying them to make them work,,,and ONLY when they are working right, do we have any assurance that they are doing the job, they are meant to. I hang in there and do what I can because I do want my cpap to be successful for me.
    I read where one guy was putting Vicks vaporizer liquid in his humidifier…now that was crazy,,,but he said he got a full good night sleep and his sinuses were cleared…I wouldnt do that,,,but if it worked for him, hey!! which is why i chose the GSE, no smell, no taste…thanks so much for your reply,,,I'll keep posting my progress!!

• MarineLight
    MarineLight March 11, 2013 at 9:38 pm   

Thank you so much for your post, I have a head cold and was looking for something safe and natural to put in the humidifier, so I Google it and your answer came up. I'm def going to look for it and try it tonight if I find it, don't have a clue who sells this oil but I will look for it. I don't take any meds so I think this oil will be the best thing for me. Hope you're doing better with your sleep.

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez March 12, 2013 at 6:03 pm   

I have been getting the grapefruit seed extract at the Vitamin Shoppe…any health food store will have it…have you tried a neti pot for your sinuses…it helps

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 February 1, 2012 at 8:58 am   

Twinkletoez:: I to have asthma, was suppose to out grow it but, didn't happen. I refuse to use the steroids, no way. I do very much understand where you are coming from so will be keeping up with your posts to see what your experiments do & don't do for you. Love the post, keep them coming…

Best Wishes

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez February 1, 2012 at 9:58 am   

I am thrilled!!! I'm going to a friend's house to give her a day of help with her 5 children,,,everyday, I put on perfume,,,today for the first time in weeks I can smell
    YEA!!!! oops, now I now I use too much perfume!!! yikes! better cut back to one or two sprays…

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 February 1, 2012 at 10:09 am   

LOL, I have looked up some huge words having to do with GSE. Now I will be calling a company on more info, & will get back to you on my findings.

Have a blast today!!!!!

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez February 2, 2012 at 8:14 am   

my 3rd night on GSE in my cpap humidifier,,,sinuses progressing along very well,,,feel well rested today because I wasnt up till midnight sneezing and blowing my nose…also found a chinstrap that is actually really working with my lip puffing,,,the cup is stretchy light material that comes under my chin and stretches up over my lips…holding them down,,,not puffing all thru the night and helping with the dry mouth,, 80 percent success is better than 80 percent failure!! :-)

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez February 1, 2012 at 9:05 am   

LOL! will do and if you dont hear from me for a while, maybe I'm in trouble with one of my experiment!! Lord, NO!!!

• kaiya2465
    kaiya2465 February 1, 2012 at 9:16 am   
    Edited February 1, 2012 at 9:17 am by kaiya2465

Be careful. I forgot to ask you on the GSE where did you read about it & what made you try it in the humidifier? Do you have the links still by any chance?

Thanks

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez February 1, 2012 at 9:42 am   

these are just a couple but if you google (I'm a googler) use these words:
    "grapefruit seed extract and cpap humidifier" there is a bunch of other experimenters that are having good success with keeping sinus infections and colds at bay…I know that the last two nights, the air from my cpap didnt burn my nasal passages or make me sneeze which is the start of every evening…today I am breathing 100 percent, trying to decide…One more night?

• twinkletoez
  • twinkletoez
    twinkletoez February 1, 2012 at 9:30 am   

here's one about the product, i will look for the one on putting it in the CPAP
    www.nutriteam.com/index2.html

• twinkletoez
    twinkletoez February 1, 2012 at 9:25 am   

yes Ill see if I can find you 2 links GSE is good stuff even if you dont put it in humidifiers…I use it everyday for other things . give me a little time, I'll get them to you

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar