Are you tired during the day?!

By kayla.ford Latest Activity December 7, 2011 at 1:52 am Views 3,564 Replies 30 Likes 20

kayla.ford

Looking for friends to connect with. If you have narcolepsy, idiopathic hypersomnia, or if you just have trouble staying awake during the day or waking up in the morning, please comment/like this post so we can be friends and help one another :)

Thanks!
-Kayla

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (30 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • azmumm
    azmumm September 12, 2013 at 3:46 am   

I have a hard time during the day I can be setting at my desk at work and trying to do paper work and I will fall asleep when my head falls back or down I wake up and I get so mad because I can't work like that. I have to get up and try to move around and get a drink or something to wake up. There are times that I fall asleep while I am heading to work and that really upsets me. I have told the doctor and I have sleep apnea.

• whykittykat
    whykittykat September 9, 2013 at 11:36 pm   

I have trouble with sleep all the time going to sleep staying asleep but then in the middle of the day I am tired like I ran I 5k or something it comes in waves I get yelled at for cuz I am I. High school last week I passed out in 3 outa 4 classes what is wrong with me also I am still afraid if the dark and If I am in a dark room trying to sleep I see every thing wih a red film over it it scares me a lot

• jt0756
    jt0756 July 30, 2013 at 12:00 pm   

I have Narcolepsy and have been trying for 3 1/2 years now to get on disability. The government apparently doesn't think it is a serious condition. I have fallen asleep driving and have since stopped. Anyone else fighting this?

• Narco Polo
    Narco Polo July 29, 2013 at 4:30 pm   

Narcolepsy, rem in under 90 seconds every time.

• roundandround
    roundandround March 23, 2013 at 3:57 pm   

If you are in the USA & on insurance how come your drs are not putting you on Xyrem? Xx

• LadyJelly5
    LadyJelly5 March 17, 2013 at 9:08 am   

I was just diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia after almost 5 months of tests. They are still not sure if they can completely rule out narcolepsy because of other meds I am on which suppress REM. I am very frustrated by the whole thing because no one else seems to understand what it is. I am also scared to start stimulants because I don't react well to lots of medications. I just wish I knew more about this disorder so I could feel like it is an actual medical problem instead of something in my head.

• expectamiracle
    expectamiracle July 28, 2013 at 10:53 pm   

I can relate I keep thinking this is something I can just. Snap out of. If I just try hard
    Enough .

• huh what
    huh what March 15, 2013 at 2:16 pm   

Narcolepsy. Work sleep work sleep. No time for family. I hate it.

• shakysleepy
    shakysleepy July 18, 2012 at 12:04 pm   

I know exactly how you feel. I have narco, cataplexy, and sleep apnea and have trouble staying awake at work and haven't been able to watch a movie all the way through in forever without falling asleep. Lol

• Leslee_Lane
    Leslee_Lane April 16, 2012 at 12:55 pm   

Sounds just like what I am going through! It's so frustrating to loose my independence of driving. I haven't driven in a year. Ritalin LA at 60mg two times a day and still sleep all night and majority of the day! Where did my life go? I feel like I slept through it!

• ladybugs
    ladybugs April 16, 2012 at 4:19 pm   

Did you try Ritalin LA @ 40mg first? Could you tell the difference between the different two doeses?
    I saw something somewhere about using provigil if the Ritalin isn't effective.
    I take Ritalin / Paxil for ADD, I might suggest trying trazadone/ at night for the insomnia it is an older anti depressant medication with less side effects than things like ambien.

• Leslee_Lane
    Leslee_Lane April 16, 2012 at 12:50 pm   

I have narcolepsy and I would like to make some friends also. Since I was diagnosed I feel like when I explain what is going in neither me they tend to be put off by it. My family also has no idea why i cant just get up and sleep normally. They tend to assume its a matter of will. I could really use the support of someone who is actually educated about sleep disorders. I look forward to all posts!

• expectamiracle
    expectamiracle July 28, 2013 at 10:55 pm   

I would like to also Conner

Con ecy

Connect

Connect with others

• gleebs
    gleebs April 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm   

Yes to all

• SlickVick
    SlickVick February 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm   

It's not the sound or volume of the alarm for me, it's that i do my 'automatic behavior' when trying to wake so I'll get up and snooze/unplug the alarm that is across the room or I'll answer my phone ir have convos with ppl in my sleep like "yeah I already showered, I'm up" and also i would straight up lie in my sleep, "no class today, it was cancelled."

I got the iLuv ihome-style vibrating alarm, which worked for me only once, but then i kept unplugging it/it has to be right near the bed for the vibrating attachment to reach…about $30 on amazon i think.

Has anyone been successful in being able to wake without another person if they previously had trouble? It helps when my mom gives me meds at 8 when she leaves, and then i wake at 9 or 10 but the alarm can be going off for a whole hour.

• draco59
    draco59 February 4, 2012 at 2:56 pm   

Hi Kayla,
    Besides sleep apnea, I have diabetes and chronic fatigue syndrome. As you can imagine, made my life a living nap, have a job at a desk didn’t help. Talked to my cardiologist first, GP want him to deal with it. He put me on Provigil 150 mg. It was a whole new world; I wasn’t falling asleep at my desk or at red lights. Then 6 months later, my sleep Dr. changed it to Nuvigil 250 mg that was even better. Both of them were great, it made my life so much better. The best part of if med is no side effects, except some loss of appetite, which is good.
    Brian

• sadcat
    sadcat January 14, 2012 at 1:11 am   

i guess that since i'm respnding to this at 2am, i guess i'm part of the nite owl bunch. i was really sleepy aroind 12pm, but i git my 2nd wind somewhere

• tahohugh
    tahohugh January 12, 2012 at 4:15 pm   

Hey I used to be tired during day, often times falling asleep at my desk or at home on the couch even thou I am on a machine for therapy while I sleep. After being so upset about this a friend did a google search and actually found a medication that helps one stay awake during day. My insurance 1st denied the request but sent my doctor a simple form to fill out with questions about sleepiness during day doing different activities including asking a question about sitting at a red light getting sleepy or falling asleep. This questionnaire has a grading system and if you are at a certain grade, they approve it. It's called Nuvigil and you take it 1st thing in morning. I have been able to avoid getting that tired, sleepy feeling during day. After work if I choose to rest for a little bit, am able to do a power nap, get up for evening activities then able to go to bed at my time every night without any side effects. Sure can relate to your situation, would not mind conversing with you about it.

• Caligari
    Caligari January 7, 2012 at 3:33 am   

I am also very sleepy / tired during days. Only efficient solution seems to be taking a nap at noon but that is often not possible for me.

• troublemaker27
    troublemaker27 December 15, 2011 at 11:41 am   

i can't sleep very well at night in the middle of the night i awake to look at the clock.
    what can i do?
    please help if you can thank you

• Leslee_Lane
    Leslee_Lane June 7, 2012 at 6:54 am   

Here are a few things I do. Turn the clock so you cannot see it. Read a book that isn't extremely thrilling. Try hypnosis apps or CDs. I have especially benefited from the hypnosis apps! I highly recommend them. There are free podcasts too. Do you have a iPhone or something similar?

• LAUDON
    LAUDON December 14, 2011 at 12:48 pm   

I BE SLEEP MOST OF THE DAY ONCE I GET SLEEPY AFTER HOURS OF WAKING UP AND IT'S UNUSUAL BECAUSE ONCE I WAKE UP IN THE MORNING I AM AWAKE FOR THE WHOLE DAY AT LEAST I THOUGHT I WAS.

• Momma2all
    Momma2all December 15, 2011 at 10:49 pm   

Huh? What are you saying? Once you get up you are up you are up for the whole day, but you also say you sleep most of the day. I don't get what you are trying to say??

• Fuffybunny5000
    Fuffybunny5000 December 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm   

sent

• Momma2all
    Momma2all December 11, 2011 at 3:33 pm   

I have OSA, not diagnosed with any other yet, but have all my life not been able to wake to an alarm. Have lost several jobs due to being late to work from oversleeping, and now, I can't keep myself awake during the day. I do however, have trouble some nights staying asleep. I'll finally get to sleep and then wake up after about two hours and be up for three or four more. This all is making me crazy. My husband says I sleep more than any human he's ever seen or heard of. He doesnt understand at all. Thinks I'm lazy. I truly cant help it! I have a great CPAP machine and a wonderful mask that I love, no problems there, just wish I wasn't so tired. Also just recently had a titration and had pressure changed, so that's not it. My sleep doctor says I'm not getting enough time on the PAP because of the sleeping and waking up. I don't think that's the issue, because I can sleep for 12 hours straight and be up for two hours and then be exhausted again. So, I just wonder, and continue to do the best I can.

• Leslee_Lane
    Leslee_Lane June 7, 2012 at 6:49 am   

It sounds like you definitely have Hypersomnalance if not more. Have you had the daytime sleep study?

• Momma2all
    Momma2all June 7, 2012 at 10:16 am   

Not the daytime one. My doctor doesn't seem to think it is necessary. He keeps saying well, we will wait and see what's going on with you next time I see you. He says that every time. I think it's time to switch doctors.

• cataylor
    cataylor January 11, 2012 at 11:17 pm   

I kinda know how u feel. Unmedicated I will fall asleep upto 20 times a day and just can't stay awake, am completely out of control. Could sleep all day but can stay awake for a while if I get to sleep for 15 mins and wake by myself. Day or night I only sleep for 3 hours at a time. Yes I am a narcoleptic. Found losing weight helped - lost 36kg and ran 2 half marathons after diagnosis. Having 3 kids has made the narcolepsy worse and the realisation of being disabled and not able to do with them what I want when I want depressing. But life is more fun with them. Have very understanding husband too. Drugs assist, at least I can drive a bit with them.

I am exhausted and want to crawl into bed all day every day. But have learnt to count hours of sleep and if over 8 in last 24 I put exhaustion down to narcolepsy and haul myself up and just do it.

Ca

• janeausten
    janeausten March 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm   

get up in the am , take med, have troruble staying awake all day , cannor do any driving alone, i sometimes get so sleepy i can bareley fund=ction. the meds are supposedd to keep me alert all day. can only use cpap for about 4hours or so on a good nightn then i have rto take it off for a while so so.

• Damnifiknow
    Damnifiknow December 14, 2011 at 1:01 pm   

My doctor told me to set the clock for 7am, and go outside to get some sun everyday. He also told me that being inside all day was bad because my body did not get enough melatonin or something like that? I know it helped me, i set the clock every day and got up and went outside. You could possibily try this. He told me that my "clock" in my body was messed up due to the odd hours I work. I too can not wake up to a clock, our house alarm went off one night & I slept through the entire thing.It drives my wife crazy. GOOD LUCK

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar