Does CPAP use cause weight loss?

By Tracy Latest Activity November 18, 2009 at 11:44 am Views 5,383 Replies 7 Likes 1

Tracy

In a nutshell, NO, CPAP use does not cause weight loss. What it does do, once one successfully uses CPAP all night, every night, is it provides a return of energy and you are more active. Increased activity burns calories and you will probably enjoy weight loss. Renewed energy will also give you the stamina and fortitude to eat properly and thus lose weight. When you feel better, motivation returns!

Many of us gained weight before apnea diagnosis because we became sleep deprived and less active. When the body is sleep deprived, it craves energy any way it can get it…sugar, carbohydrates, caffeine and nicotine…thus the weight gain.

Apnea and weight gain becomes a vicious cycle…the apnea causes sleepiness which promotes weight gain, the more weight we gain the worse the apnea gets, the worse the apnea gets the more weight we gain! YUK!

So, if you have started CPAP and are finding renewed energy, it would be a great time to start a plan of action to take off some weight. You still have to eat properly and exercise, but I think you will find the weight will come off easier now that your apnea is treated!

Good sleep!
tracy

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (7 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • anita531
    anita531 May 3, 2010 at 8:52 am   

I was wondering, I have had and used my cpap for 4yrs…I find myself feeling just as tired and wanting all the sugary stuff to keep me going. Is it possible that I need my air increased? I dont have insurance and the cost is unreal! any suggestions? tks!

• GustavLui
    GustavLui May 20 at 3:14 pm   

You can consult with respiratory therapy! Its good idea!

• Popeye
    Popeye December 16, 2009 at 12:36 pm   

5 years ago I went through the Bariatric Surgery program, lost 85 lbs WITHOUT the surgery and then went through a deppresion period and gained the weight back. Despite the fact that I know how to eat and how to exercise I just couldn't muster the energy to get on my equipement! I am so looking forward to getting my CPAP on Sunday and start sleeping again.. and exercising, eating right and loosing the weight again!! —

• Tracy
    Tracy December 16, 2009 at 2:22 pm   

Popeye - I will be cheering you on! Have you tried on and selected a mask yet? Or is that happening on Sunday too? Make sure you try masks on HOOKED UP to the machine as masks fit and feel differently when you are standing in a showroom. If you can put on masks there, and lay your head down on your arm like you would in your normal sleeping position, you will get a better idea of how it fits and feels. Make sure you are also shown ALL of the fit and adjustment features on the mask you choose. Ditto for the machine - most of them have several patient controlled comfort features that you should know about. Yes, they are mentioned in the patient manual - but MUCH easier to learn if you are shown in person!

Keep us in the loop, standing ready to answer your questions and help on this end! THINK POSITIVE!

Best to you!
    Tracy

• RiverWoman
    RiverWoman December 23, 2009 at 8:30 am   

I had undiagnosed Sleep Apnea. This led to sight loss, because I had two episodes of Ischemic Optic Neuropathy, in which you immediately lose the sight in your eye/s. I had been a life long exercise and nutrition enthusiast and was in fantastic shape when this happened to me in 2007.
    Now I sleep with the full face mask on at night. I wake up full of energy and often extend my regular morning workout at the gym beyond my goal for that day. I follow the _Body for Life_ program using the book by Bill Phillips. It is fantastic and results begin to show immediately. The CPAP now allows me to have much more energy and I do not just go through the routine like I was in a trrance from lack of sleep.
    If my sleep apnea was diagnosed two years agok, I would not be blind now, most likely. This is what I was told just a month ago by one of my doctors. So not only can Sleep Apnea bring on death, it can also bring on strokes which cause blindness. I never knew that and never met anyone else who had this happen to them. Since getting my equipment about 4 months ago, I see a big difference in my energy level. I no longer have to take a nap in the afternoon. Instead I walk my dogs a lot more. It all adds up to better health and weight loss, I think.

• Popeye
    Popeye December 29, 2009 at 10:35 am   

Well, I've had and used my CPAP for 8 days. I got the nose pillow model with a humidifier. It semed to work the 1st few days and then tapered off. I got the humidifier to work well but my sleeping isn't much better except that I'm not waking up with that scared tummy feeling so perhaps it works better than it seems. They showed me the ins-and-outs of the system pretty well and let me try it on and run it for a few minutes to see how I felt with it. I am to call them back on Firday and report in and if they feel it's necessary I'll take it back for adjustments or a different kind of mask. They suggested i give it 2 weeks. So we'll see how things are next week. Trying to be patient when I'm so darn tired is difficult :)

• Ginger
    Ginger December 29, 2009 at 12:10 pm   

Tracy, I have just had my 2nd night of sleep study. last night I used a pillow mask and got so frustrated cause it kept leaking air. With all the comments I have read I realize it will take some time getting used to it. I appreciate all the encouragement and thank everyone for their comments.
    Ginger

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar