Help me please my cpap machine leaves my mouth and nose so dry

By artist_bre Latest Activity July 1, 2011 at 6:33 am Views 4,126 Replies 20 Likes 3

artist_bre

I have had central and obstructive sleep apnea for a few years and still can’t get use to my mask. I know I really need to wear it because I was told a lot of my problem is being on a lot of narcotics, which I need to be able to keep me out of pain but they also make the sleep apnea worse.
I think one big reason I have such a problem with the cpap machine is that after I have it on for a while my mouth and nose gets so dry it wakes me up and I can’t stand it. When I take off my mask I can’t even talk or moisten my mouth, my tongue sticks to my mouth and its hard to moisten it without a glass of water. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to make this easier for me? I’ve also heard people talking about a humidifier, how do they work and are they attached to the cpap machine? I would appreciate any help at all, Thanks
Bre

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (20 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • sweething
    sweething July 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm   

I forgot to answer your question about the dry nose.. I use a spray saline GEL, that stays around longer than the saline sspray. Also Ayr makes a gel in a tube that liikewise hangs around longer than the saline spray.

• snorebabe
    snorebabe July 14, 2011 at 8:46 pm   

Try Ayr, a gel to put around your nose. In Walgreen's by nose sprays. Also have the dry mouth but I live with it; better than the morning headaches and dead tired feeling I was having.

• artist_bre
    artist_bre July 15, 2011 at 12:25 am   

thats so true, thanks
    bre

• spanishlady
    spanishlady July 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm   
    Edited July 12, 2011 at 4:44 pm by spanishlady

I purchase Biotene gel to get up at night and rub my gums, my doctor said to drink more water. I have not used my gel in a while, however is hot in Texas and I used this gel twice this month.

• artist_bre
    artist_bre July 13, 2011 at 10:12 am   

thanks I did get the spray so far. It seems to help a little.
    Bre

• cupcake0923
    cupcake0923 July 9, 2011 at 5:08 pm   

I THINK IT DEPENDS ON THE CPAP YOU HAVE I HAVE ONE THAT HAS VAMPERVOER AND IT HELPS ME

• Tracy
    Tracy July 8, 2011 at 9:37 am   

I forgot to mention one of my little tips for nasal lining dryness. I use a simple saline spray called OCEAN - its cheap and very effective. I use 1-2 squirts in each nostril every night routinely. You can buy at any drug store in the nasal spray section - Walgreens has their own brand…
    tracy

• Avera
    Avera July 6, 2011 at 11:50 pm   

Here is a link to a discussion about an excellent product to prevent dry mouth.

http://www.sleepconnect.com/discussions/937-a...

• RussMacmillan
    RussMacmillan July 6, 2011 at 9:31 am   

Have you considered using nasal pips instead of a mask…the air goes right into your lungs and nowhere else…Do you know if you sleep with your mouth open…it sounds like you do because you wake up with a Sahara Desert Mouth…so all that air is leaking out your mouth…so you aren't getting any of the benefits…you also need a chin strap to keep your mouth closed. then you willl wake up with a moist mouth…try the ultimate chin strap for sleep apnea…it is the best I have tried on the market…Biotene products are terrific…for temporary relief…

• artist_bre
    artist_bre July 8, 2011 at 11:56 am   
    Edited July 8, 2011 at 11:59 am by artist_bre

What are nasal pips? I use to use the chin stap, but with the new mask I didnt think I needed it anymore, I don't think I openi my mouth any more but I'm not sure. Others also mentioned the biotine products and I did buy the mouth wash and the spray and they do work great, thanks to everyone who suggested them.
    Bre

• sweething
    sweething July 4, 2011 at 8:44 pm   

Have you tried any Biiotene products? They are specifically for dry mouths. I particularly llike the spray you can use before bed and immediately when you wake with a dry mouth. Hope this helps.

• artist_bre
    artist_bre July 4, 2011 at 9:27 pm   

not yet I just heard that from another guy who replied, thanks I will try them.

• phatmusiclover8
    phatmusiclover8 July 4, 2011 at 7:05 pm   
    Edited July 4, 2011 at 7:06 pm by phatmusiclover8

After you get your level set right on your CPAP, you also can brush with Biotene toothpaste and use the mouthwash as well it helps.

• lmkilday
    lmkilday July 3, 2011 at 11:58 pm   

CPAP machines are sold with or without humidifiers. If your machine has a humidifiers, you have to fill it with distilled water every night. The humidity level can be adjusted if your nose or mouth are too dtry.

• artist_bre
    artist_bre July 4, 2011 at 8:10 pm   

yes mine has it but I didnt know u could adjust it until u guys said it and I checked the manual. but as I said above mine dont get hot do they all? im calling the company tomorrow.
    Thanks

• artist_bre
    artist_bre July 4, 2011 at 8:08 pm   

thanks do you or anyone know do all the humidifiers get hot? mine dont and i dont think it ever did. Ill have to call the company and ask tomorrow.

• Tracy
    Tracy July 8, 2011 at 9:35 am   

So did you call the company and ask them to show you how to set and adjust the humidifier settings? all machines are a little bit different - so you should ask about your brand. One thing to note - its really the moisture we need, not necessarily the heat. So…don't think higher is better - too high can cause excess condensation to develop in the tubing and drip back in to the mask - YUK. It helps to cover the tubing to insulate - tubing covers are cheap and some cpap suppliers even have freebies they give away…ask.

let us know how it works for you!
    tracy

• artist_bre
    artist_bre July 8, 2011 at 5:03 pm   

Yes I called the company and they said since the humidifier never has worked, there going to try to get me a new machine if our insurance will cover it now. I also have meedicare as my secondary ins. So keep your fingers crossed I want to get the Resmed S9 series. I did adjust it up just a touch, to about a tad past 2 and it was set on 2. I will ask when they come out with the new mschine or to fix the one to show me how to work all the features. Thanks Tracy.
    Bre

• artist_bre
    artist_bre July 4, 2011 at 8:57 am   

Thanks I didnt know you could adjust the humidity level. How do I do adjust it do u know? I'll have to check my book that came with it.

• artist_bre
    artist_bre July 2, 2011 at 9:59 am   

I hadn't tried my machine is so long I forgot it does have the humidifyer on it I believe. At least I add water to it daily so why dont that keep me from being so dry?

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar