Do you use CPAP humidifier year round?

By Tracy Latest Activity March 28, 2011 at 2:59 pm Views 4,175 Replies 18 Likes 3

Tracy

Curious to know your CPAP humidifier habits -
Do you, like me, use it every night all year round?
or
Do you use it only seasonally or "as needed"?

Personally, I feel using heated humidification just makes PAPPING more comfortable - using the lowest heat setting to just slightly warm the moistened air keeps my nasal lining from drying out.

Also - were you given any instruction when your cpap and humidifier were provided to you as to how to use it and how often?

I want to start this discussion because I think humidification is so important - and a tool that is often underestimated!

Tracy

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (18 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • banderasgrl
    banderasgrl May 15, 2011 at 2:25 pm   

I use the humidifier all the time. Every night.

• Hruskara
    Hruskara May 11, 2011 at 2:35 pm   

I use my humidifier only during the winter when the air here is very dry. The summers in MN are generally very humid so I don't use it then. Since you have had a good expirence using it all year long I'm going to give it a try.

• Tracy
    Tracy May 13, 2011 at 9:10 am   

I live in MN too - and yes we have hot humid summer weather and big old mosquitos :) to prove it don't we!

I think a lot of us confuse the need for cpap humidification with just our weather - outside temps and humidify. What we need to remember is that our cpap delivers that strong blast of air via the tubing and mask and it can knock the socks out of our delicate nasal lining causing dryness, pain and even nosebleeds.

The CPAP delivers the air at whatever temp our bedroom sleeping environment is on any given night. So yes, if our sleeping environment is humid and warm, we may need less humidity from our cpap humidifiers…BUT if you sleep during summer with windows closed and air conditioning on like I do - and if you sleep better in a cool environment and keep your thermostat at 75 or less ( I keep mine at 72 and use an additional ceiling fan over my bed ) I think most of us will still benefit by using the cpap humidifier to additionally moisten that BLAST OF AIR to protect our nasal lining from drying out.

I am now using the ResMed S9 auto bilevel with the optional Climate Line humidifer - heated tubing. It automaticlly adjusts to keep a preset 80% humidity level - like a set thermostat…I love it…no more ME fiddling with the heat temp settings on my humidifier. I like EASE OF USE.

tracy

• Ms Julie
    Ms Julie May 12, 2011 at 10:02 pm   

I use my by pap every night with the humidifer on . I find it more comfortable to wear . My provider was very helpful to me when i got my supplies .
    Julie

• STL Mark
    STL Mark March 28, 2011 at 9:00 pm   

I use it every night. I was given the standard introduction as to where to put water in and to clean it per the instructions in the book. I've since developed habbits that work well for me. In the winter we keep our home around 62 and I set it at 86 and between the heated tube and the heated humidifier I am very comfortable. During the summer I keep it set to about 80 and the room temp is about 78.

• Ms Julie
    Ms Julie May 12, 2011 at 10:04 pm   

STL Mark ,
    Good info thank u .
    Julie

• Tracy
    Tracy May 10, 2011 at 10:22 am   

Glad to hear its working well for you! Also VERY nice to hear you were properly introduced to "how to use" it by your provider!
    tracy

• dirtroads
    dirtroads May 10, 2011 at 8:27 am   

I use mine every night. i have plain tubing but am interested in the climate tubing. Do you know if repironics carries the climate tubing? I have tried not using the humidity because I live where the humidity is high but it is still more comfortable to use humidity. I have it set at the lowest level.

• Tracy
    Tracy May 10, 2011 at 10:23 am   

I have not heard that resprionics has introduced a heated tubing. Only Fisher&Paykel AND also ResMed S 9 platforms offer this fantastic feature!
    tracy

• dirtroads
    dirtroads May 10, 2011 at 9:02 pm   

is the tubing interchangable?
    will resmed work with resprionics?

• Tracy
    Tracy May 11, 2011 at 9:02 am   

no, the ClimateLine is specific to the ResMed S9 platform of cpap, autocpap and bilevel devices

• STL Mark
    STL Mark May 10, 2011 at 9:48 pm   

The tube its self is the same size, but there would be no connection on the Respironics machine to power the heating and humidity like the Resmed. So a +$50 tube becomes a $6 standard tube.

• STL Mark
    STL Mark May 10, 2011 at 7:45 pm   

I agree that Respironics does not manufacturer that type of device. Some people use the Aussie Heated hose ( www.sleepzone.com.au ). I've even seen conversion instructions that use a normal hose and a reptile heater in cord form purchased from a pet store.

I recently purchased a backup machine for a fantastic price that happened to be Respironics and looked into the options.

• Tracy
    Tracy March 29, 2011 at 10:37 am   

I am guessing that you use the ResMed S9 with climate line tubing? I love that feature…ability to set the humidifier at a humidity level and it automatically keeps it at a constant - I think of it like a thermostat! I keep mine set at 80% humidity.

tracy

• STL Mark
    STL Mark May 10, 2011 at 7:46 pm   

Yes, I use the S9 Autoset with H5i and ClimateLine. Love the combination.

• Tracy
    Tracy May 11, 2011 at 9:03 am   

I use the S9 VPAP - auto bilevel with climate line - it ROCKS

• cmorri9
    cmorri9 March 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm   

When I was first diagnosed with sleep apnea I was not given a humidifier. After about a week my throat was so sore I could no swallow. I have had a humididfier every since then and I use mine year round. I feel uncomfortable with it off and and even when you think you don't need it. Well then you might wake up with a very dry mouth anyway. I think year round is the way to go. Not sure what I would do without it.

• Tracy
    Tracy March 28, 2011 at 5:21 pm   

I agree - cannot imagine NOT using mine every night!
    tracy

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar