laying on your stomach

By skuzminski82 Latest Activity March 19, 2011 at 3:34 am Views 1,569 Replies 8 Likes 5

skuzminski82

yea i get alot of stomachaches and i find it nearly impossible to lay on my stomach with the masks.

does anyone know a trick or anything to make it easy? lol

i tried using a round pillow under my chin and only woke up with horrible neck pain.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (8 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • lmkilday
    lmkilday July 1, 2011 at 11:25 pm   

Did you see the video on this site about Provent? It is something new and is an alternative to cpap machines.

• skuzminski82
    skuzminski82 March 24, 2011 at 1:24 pm   

when i sleep with my head sideways i always wake up with bad neckpain so i guess im tryin go get a better position for my head/neck without getitng the pain.
    i wish i could cut a hole in my pillow and just sleep with my face. face down lol

• STL Mark
    STL Mark March 24, 2011 at 10:03 am   

I don't understand head position during laying on belly. Is your nose and face planted into the pillow or turned to one side?

• keithlassiter
    keithlassiter March 24, 2011 at 6:55 am   

I use a buckwheat pillow. You don't sink into it an it makes sleeping with your mask on much easier. It breaths so you don't perspire either.

• Tracy
    Tracy March 23, 2011 at 10:21 am   

When I was dx with severe apnea over 20 years ago, like most patients, I was told that most of my apnea episodes occur when sleeping on my back - think gravity!

So it took me a several months, but I did learn to sleep on my side or stomach. For the past 15 years I exclusively sleep on my stomach very comfortably but only because of my PAPillow - bed pillow. Yes, I did design it - disclaimer here :) -

PAPillow was the very first pillow designed for CPAP users - and by me and another apnea patient - because so many of us face difficulties side or stomach sleeping with a mask on our face.
    You can read the PAPillow story here http://www.papillow.com/papillow-history.cfm

Regardless of whether you try my PAPillow, or another bed pillow for cpap users, it really does help with sleeping comfort. Often we have the right mask and machine settings - all we need is that final little push over the edge for comfort and being able to keep the mask on our face all night without causing pain and leak!

Also - I prefer the smaller Mini Edge PAPillow - because I like very little elevation since I sleep flat on my stomach and have a very short neck. Most patients seem to prefer the larger Double Edge size, but mostly best for SIDE sleepers. Just my 2 cents!

Good sleep to all,
    Tracy

• groove city
    groove city March 23, 2011 at 7:20 pm   

I sleep on my stomach at nites with my cpap and i never have any problems with it i use a regular bed pillow i would not mind using a papillow to see how it feels.

• Avera
    Avera March 22, 2011 at 11:48 pm   

I've spoken with many people who are stomach sleepers. They find the Resmed Mirage Quattro to work out pretty nicely. Most also use a CPAP pillow that allows the mask "elbow" and hose to drape rather than get crushed between the face and the pillow. The exhaust vent is on the bridge of the nose. While the CPAP pillow is not required, it does help. You might find that you have to more or less have your head at the edge of the pillow to work.

A good pillow to use is the Double Edge Pap Pillow. Here is a link to check it out.

http://shop.talkaboutsleep.com/cpap-pillows

Just remember, you can go to your local Medical Supply store and try on various masks there. They even have beds there so you can lie down in your sleeping position in order to find one that works for you.

Good Luck!

• tSquare
    tSquare March 22, 2011 at 12:30 am   

I can kind of manage the laying on the stomach with my CPAP mask on (nose only mask, not a full-face one). I do it by actually putting part of my pillow up under my chest and kind of hugging it, and then scrunching up the 'exposed' part of the pillow enough to kind of rest one face-cheek/ side on it. My nose and mask are then just above the matress yet not on it. The scrunching the pillow around kind of makes a sort of wedge under me (narrowest part around my mid chest and the wider/fatter part under my head).

I don't do this too often, sleep on my stomach, for I think I was told once that the CPAP doesn't work as well for the OSA when one is in that position. Or, it may have been that they were trying to tell me that the average OSA isn't much of a factor in that position or something. It was when I was being tested for the right pressures for my CPAP that I was told this by a tech. And, yea, I wasn't that awake at the time so when they were telling me to get off my stomach so they could keep running their tests that night I may have not quite gotten the right gist of what they were telling me. I keep meaning to ask my doctor about that, but I keep forgetting too. Ah… time to write it down in my 'must ask' list for my next doctor visit.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar