CPAP and stuffy nose

By AuntieBear Latest Activity March 1, 2011 at 12:04 am Views 7,394 Replies 9 Likes 4

AuntieBear

Here is a question. How are you supposed to be able touse a CPAP which requires breathing through your nose, when you get so much nighttime nasal congestion that you have to breathe through your mouth when you are awake and upright?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (9 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Ezsleep716
    Ezsleep716 August 3, 2011 at 10:35 am   

How about that, I just happen to be in the mist of my yearly "sinus infection" from the weather and I was debating whether I should stop using my cpap machine until I can get rid of this thing. It's an annual bout and last about week, but going try some your suggestions and let you know…thanks as always the chatter is productive…EZ

• ROBERT VANTREASE
    ROBERT VANTREASE August 2, 2011 at 11:55 am   

HI AUNTIEBEAR, MY NOSE GETS STUFFED UP ALL DAY AND NIGHT AND MY DOCTOR PUT ME ON FLONASE TWICE A DAY AND THAT TOOK CARE OF IT WITHOUT GETTING HOOKED ON AN OVER THE COUNTER NASAL SPRAY THAT COULD HARM YOUR NASAL PASSAGE.
    I HOPE THIS HELPS,
    ROBERT VANTREASE

• nancylewis
    nancylewis March 15, 2011 at 12:15 pm   

I have been using a CPAP for about six months. Started out with a nose mask, which gave me all kinds of sinus issues. Now I have the Full Life Mask from Respironics, which works really well for me. What I have discovered from online research is that most everyone develops their own little bag of tricks to make it all work. What I have learned is that if I get the TINIEST hint that I might be getting sick, I need to take it seriously. I change the water in the humidifier every night when this happens. I found a nasal rinse called NeilMed that is premeasured, gentle, and easy to use. Used twice a day, it helps keep the nasal passages clear and clean. I also use an over-the-counter product like Zyrtec or Claritin to keep my nose from running. And if I get sick, I go right for the real Sudafed, rather than the stuff you can buy without Id. It has been a difficult year for colds, etc. but I am sleeping better, and this mask does well. It took a little convincing to get them to send me small headgear and a medium mask, but that is what works best for me. As far as help from a sleep professional, I don't even know where to go for that. The people at the supplier's are less than helpful, and my doctor knows nothing.

• Wanting2BHealthy
    Wanting2BHealthy March 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm   

Hi! I am new to this community and does your question hit home! I was told by my Sleep Dr. to use Saline mist to help with stuffy nasal passages. I have a heated humidifier, so the Saline mist does help.

• BeachHP
    BeachHP March 3, 2011 at 9:34 am   

I second the full face mask. Ive also heard of people putting vicks on a cotton ball, and placing it on a plate or something BEHIND the humidifier opening. that way you get the fumes from it, but it doesn't damage your machine. you shouldn't let the vicks touch any of your equipment as it can damage it. but the machine will draw the smell in through the filter in the back.

• katzeyez53
    katzeyez53 March 1, 2011 at 4:30 pm   

My dr suggested a nasal wash before bed. Unlike nose drops or sinus spray..it simply cleans out your sinuses and works! Good luck

• Tracy
    Tracy March 1, 2011 at 12:31 pm   

Great question, thanks for asking!

I've included a link so you can learn more about the importance of using a heated cpap humidifier. Our nasal lining is highly vascular and the constant blast of air in to our nostrils can not only dry it out - but it can CAUSE a stuffy nose and even a runny nose. So, I hope you are using a humidifier with cpap, if not, ask your cpap supplier about this.

You MAY be a natural mouth breather, if you are, you should be using a full face mask. Or it might be that not using cpap humidifier is the cause of the problem and once that is used best, it will resolve your night time congestion.

If you DO have and use a humidifier, it may be that you don't have the heat settings adjusted just right - they might change depending on the season and the humidity and temperature of our bedroom. Call your local cpap supplier if this is the case, and they should be able to walk you through the machine settings to resolve this

http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/cpap-humidifica...

Best to ya!
    tracy

• stepfonie2005
    stepfonie2005 August 2, 2011 at 9:08 am   

THANKS FOR THE INFO BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHY MY NOSE STARTS BURNING AFTER I'VE HAD MY O2 ON FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES COULD THIS BE RELATED TO POLYPS THAT A DR. TOLD ME I HAD IN MY NOSE BEFORE?

• ROBERT VANTREASE
    ROBERT VANTREASE August 2, 2011 at 11:50 am   

HI STEPFONIE2005, MY DOCTOR TOLD ME TO TURN MY OXYGEN SETTINGS DOWN A LITTLE TO KEEP MY NOSE FROM GETTING INFLAMED.
    I HOPE THIS HELPS,
    ROBERT

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar